Chapter Forty One 'Friends'

First there was confusion running through them and then absolute pity as they got their first glimpse of Ember. The poor woman rested on the edge of the platform, curled up like a newborn and sobbing her heart out. Joker had defiantly done a number on her this time, never had they seen someone so broken. For a time they honestly thought Ember was the strongest human to exist because no matter what the clown did to her she remained stoic but it was clear now that she was a very good actress.
How could they not see it?
See how shattered she was!
This woman had been dealing with constant abuse from childhood, no wonder she cried and felt emotions way more than the average person.
She needed saving fast, not only from The Joker but herself.

"Ember I'm here darling!" The person called out taking quiet cautious steps towards the wailing girl.

Ember went silent for a few moments as the voice she longed to hear echoed throughout the night sky. Her body felt extremely heavy but she slowly made her way into a slumped sitting position. Turning her head she looked up at her friend helplessly.

"Please help me Alexander!" She whimpered before bursting into a fit of loud sobs once again.

An hour earlier
"Look fellers something needs to be done and something needs to be done now, am I understood?" Alexander spoke up interrupting his men with an annoyed look on his face.
"Boss we've tried every tactic but the enemy continues to outsmart us" one man spoke up looking at him with expressive eyes.
"The game needs to be upped in order for us all to succeed! I'm not worried about losing the money but I refuse to lose any more people. I will not be the criminal known for innocent blood on his hands, that is not me. I am not The Joker, I care for people! Now we may be a team but we will not follow his actions" Alexander bellowed.
Could these men not do anything right?!
"Boss it's inevit..." the man went to speak up again only to be cut off by Alexander's mobile.

A look of annoyance crossed over Alexander's face as he roughly snatched his phone out his top pocket.
Who dared to ring him during a business meeting?!
His face soon was replaced with a soft look as he glanced at the caller ID.
It as Ember, The Jokers little doll.
A picture of the beautiful brunette came across his mind and jumping up from his seat he addressed his men.
"Excuse me fellers I have an important call to take" he called out as he walked out the meeting room.

Scanning the area to make sure he was alone he quickly answered her call.
"Hello Ember?"
"Please help me, I can't do this anymore!" Alexander heard the little doll wail.
Panic rose through him at the sheer desperation in her voice.
Something wasn't right!
"Ember where are you honey?"
He tried to keep his tone neutral but failing as she continued you cry.
"ACE Chemicals" she whispered.
Shit!
What the hell was she doing there?
"I'm on my way Ember! Do not move and don't do anything stupid I'm coming for you!" He ordered before hanging up the phone and sprinting towards the exit.
God, what had she done?!

The present
Closing the distance between them he knelt on the ground and brought her into his arms.
"Don't worry sweetheart I'm going to help you I promise" Alexander cooed kissing the side of her head as he rocked them, trying his best to soothe the hurt she felt.
"W...why...d..do...does...he...hhurt...mm..e?" Ember sniffles holding onto him like her life depended on it.
"I don't know honey I really don't know but we need to get you out of here before you catch a cold" he whispered gently raising up with her tightly within his arms.
Alexander couldn't chance her escaping and hurting herself.

Slowly he begin to walk away from the platform, down the stairs and out the exit where his car waited for him.
"First we're heading to mine to get you cleaned up and then I'm taking you back home to that sweet little girl who calls you mammy" Alexander explained as he reversed out and drove away from the horrid building.
Nodding her head Ember reached out and squeezed his arm.
"Thank you Alex" she smiled softly at him.
"What are friends for my dear?!" He chirped out matching her smile.

Ember was looking a lot better now after her hot bath and tea.
Alexander had managed to rummage through his things and find some night clothes for her.

He cursed himself for not having anything warmer for her to wear but this would have to do for now until she got home

"So what's this Melody harlot like?" Alexander asked as he sat beside Ember on the sofa.

"That's the thing she appears to be a sweet and innocent girl, like butter wouldn't melt so whenever I confront her I look like the bad guy" Ember sighed taking another sip of her drink

"Oh no honey believe me that little mask of hers will slip eventually and reveal her true colours, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but it will happen" Alexander pointed out with a disgusted look.
"How do you know?" Ember questioned.
"I've been in this game a very long time, I know people better than they know themselves and they may think they have us trapped but soon we will flip the cards and take them down" he replied with a grin.
The room fell silent as Ember began to process his words.
He was right!
Melody was playing a game and so far she was winning.

"Why am I not good enough for him Alex? What is wrong with me?" Ember sniffled as she looked down to where she was playing with her fingers.
"Ember listen to me!" Alex demanded resting his hand under her chin and bringing her head up before continuing.

"There is nothing wrong with you! The fault is all in him!
You are a beautiful, kind, loving, intelligent woman and above all that an incredible mother! It is not your fault you love a man who continues to break you, the world works in mysterious ways my dear but that does not mean you can't do something about it. People may call you weak but they would not last a day in your little stilettos. They can go on and on shoving their opinions down your throat but until they live your life, their opinion is invalid.
I will say this though, you need to get out!
It's going to be hard but you are strong and you can do anything!
You're the greatest woman I have ever met and I believe in you!"

By the end of his speech Ember was once again in floods.
Why couldn't the man she loved be like this?
In the space of a few minutes Alexander had made her feel like she was capable of anything and that she was loved.
"You really think that of me?" Ember whispered in a shocked awe.
"Yes Ember! You are incredible, start believing in yourself woman!" Alexander exclaimed throwing his hands up in the air.

Before she could overthink her actions Ember stood up from her spot on the sofa and reached for the knot on her robe.
Once it was untied she slowly slipped it off her shoulders.
"Ember what are you doing honey?" Alexander called out in confusion.
"I'm getting what I need" she spoke shyly.
"And what's that?" He gulped.
"Someone to love me" and with that Ember reached down and pulled the night gown off revealing her naked form to him.

Alexander began to sweat in his seat.
She truly was stunning!
Looking up at him Ember slowly sank back down onto the sofa.
What was she doing?!