Chapter Fifty Eight 'Followed'

Ember's POV
Diamond and I had been on the road for just over two hours, it was going smoothly but I was a complete nervous wreck. With all my might I tried to focus on driving safely but every so often the beams of a passing car would send me in a frenzied panic causing my eyes to dart all over until I found myself swerving slightly, only then did my focus come back. Yes I was in a rush but I also had my child in the car, I needed this escape to be as safe as possible so I didn't end up freaking her out or worse hurting her by accident. Luckily she had fell asleep a while ago and was comfortably resting, unaware of her panicked mother in the front seat. I felt guilty for rushing her out in the cold so late but this was our only chance at a better, hopefully she would understand this when she is older or if I have it my way she wouldn't remember any of this. I couldn't take any chances she needed to have her father wiped from her memory for her own protection.

Up ahead I saw a series of lights and signs signalling a 24hr super market and gas station, perfect!
I knew it probably wasn't best to stop here but I needed to fill up the car plus I could most likely find some warmer clothes in the store for Peanut and I. The heating in the car was on but I was finding myself starting to shiver as the blizzard got worse. High heels and a short thin dress wasn't the best attire for this environment. My motherly instincts also told me Diamond wasn't protected from the cold as much as she should be as well.

Pulling into the parking lot and finding a space hidden away I cautiously step out the car, looking around like a nervous deer to make sure there wasn't anyone suspicious looking there. Quickly getting round to Diamond's side door I lifted her out her seat, managing not to wake the poor girl up. Locking the car I began making my way into the huge store, wincing in shook and pain every time the snow found its way into my already soaked heels, the sooner I got out of these things the better.

"Oh praise the lord!" I sighed quietly noticing the large section of clothing ranging from babies to adults.
This was perfect, it looked like I was finally having some luck.
Who knew life could be so great with that green headed dick.....well everyone else knew but me....moving onnnnnn....
Yep! I was still losing my mind, guess nothing could change that.
In spite of being terrified I found a smile came onto my face, I felt kinda happy. Finally after all these years I felt genuinely happy, it almost made me want to cry because I just wasn't used to these feelings. I honestly felt like the Ember who stepped off the plane that day to connect with her best friend again.
As soon as I was settled and safe I would find a way to get in touch with my friends just so they know I'm safe without that man finding out.

After picking out some winter clothes, a variety of snack and paying for them I made my way into the restroom to get changed.
"Mammy?" Peanut groaned tiredly as I began to get her dressed.
"Sorry Peanut mammy's just putting some warm clothes on you" I cooed kissing her cheek before gently humming to her.
Giving me a cute nod she let me continue until I was finally satisfied that there was no chance of her feeling too cold.

She looked like a chubby little Eskimo and I had to sit and awe at her for a few moments, wishing I had my phone so I could capture the cuteness of the situation

After becoming annoyed with my behaviour Peanut let out a frustrated moan and I took that as my sign to get ready.

Damn it felt good to be out them awful shoes and be in something warm, comfortable and dark like my soul

Now that I was away from Joker I could dress how I wanted which would be black everyday like before, ain't nobody going to dare dictate my life for me.
Putting our old clothes in the bin I headed out the store and back to the car.
Strapping Diamond in her seat I ran round to the drivers side and made my way to the gas station, it was no time to fill up and then we could be back on the open road heading to who knows where.

As I was filling up the car I felt a wave of extreme nervousness come over me.
Looking around I saw no one it was just me in the gas station yet it didn't feel like it. I could feel the burning of eyes on the back of my head causing me to drop the pump in fright.
I needed to get out of here!
Sprinting towards the attendant I quickly paid, not once taking my eyes off my car where my child rested.
"Thank you!" I rushed out not bothering to wait for change.
"Ma'm are you alright?" I heard the attendant call after me only to be ignored as I jumped in my car and peeled out of there, slamming my foot on the pedal.

After another long hour had passed I let out a laugh of relief.
There was nothing there!
I was being way too paranoid and needed to get it together fast if I was going to keep a sharp mind. Sighing to myself I began to slow the car down to a normal speed.
"Let's not be crazy Ember" I muttered to myself turning on the radio hoping to calm my racing heart.
But that all changed once my back wipers made there move to clear the snow.

I could barely make it out.......
It was defiantly there, that I knew for sure!
Some yards back was a dark car trailing me with its lights completely off.
This time in my gut I was certain I was being followed. Unlike when other cars were behind me I felt the most sense of dread run through my body. My knuckles had turned white and I trembled violently as I stepped on the gas.
Tears welled up in my eyes as I noticed the car got faster, closing some of the distance between us.
That was all the confirmation I needed!

A loud sob ripped its way from my mouth startling Diamond awake as I began to cry.
This was it....Joker had found me!
I was going to die and would never see my child again.
There was no where for me to go, I was completely surrounded by forest, the only way was forwards.
How long could I keep this up?!
A real life horror movie was playing out before my very eyes.
How would he kill me?
Would he leave my mutilated body in the woods to be eaten and eventually rot until I was apart of the soil?

The car was getting closer and closer!
Screaming along with Diamond I made one last effort to go as fast as possible, luckily creating more distance again. I too decided it was time to shut my lights off, yes it was dangerous but maybe it could work.......
No!
Just as my lights went out there's came on illuminating us causing my sobs to get louder.
"I'm so sorry Peanut Mammy loves you!" I cried looking back her.

The storm was getting worse, I couldn't see through the amount of snow and my tears.
Suddenly I felt my car go over something and the air soon began to leave my tires causing the car to spin.
I had lost control!
My heart shattered as my wipers brushed some snow away and I saw I was headed straight for a tree.
I tried to swerve but it was no use!
Instead I grabbed Diamond's hand and cried as hard as ever, praying that we could survive this.

"Wuv you too mammy"
Was the last thing I heard before the car finally made impact........