Chapter 4

It was six pm when Elizabeth walked into the familiar building, a place she hadn't been in a couple of months.

"Good evening Ms. Waverton." The kind doorman said as she walked over to him.

"Good evening Wallace." She said smiling as she walked closer to him. "I've already told you a thousand times just to call me Elizabeth."

Wallace chuckled shaking his head, "I know ma'm, but I ain't one to break rules like that. Now, can I get you anything?"

Her smile wavered for a moment, realizing what she came to do. "Yeah," she said not looking into his eyes, "I'm here for the keys."

"Oh." She looked back up at him, staring into his eyes for a moment as she saw the same unshed tears in his eyes as she felt in hers.

It was strange seeing a man at the size of Wallace, who had been a bouncer for years before getting this job, showing that much emotion.

"He was a good man." He said shaking his head as he stood up walking over to the keys.

"He was." She said as she felt the single tear run down her face, quickly wiping it away with her hand.

"Hey..." he said turning towards her. "I didn't mean to make you cry." A sad smile came upon he face. "Trust me, he wouldn't have wanted it."

Elizabeth smiled ever so slightly as he handed her the keys. "At least I get you as a new client ." He said smiling

"Thank you, Wallace." She said as she walked over to the elevator. "Anytime sweetheart." He chuckled watching her go up.

It was strange walking down that hallway again and even stranger knowing that he won't be there...

For a moment she fumbled with the key before she finally opened the door. Stepping inside she was greeted by the same warm scent.

She softly closed the door behind her walking further into the penthouse. It was truly a beautiful place, located at the top of a skyscraper and looking down at the city. One entire wall was a glass window from floor to ceiling, making the view even more impressive.

The only thing that blocked her view was another skyscraper across the street. From this penthouse, she could look into some other houses across the way.

She sighed sitting down on the couch letting her face sink into her hands as she started crying....

It wasn't until her phone rang that she composed herself. She wiped her tears and looked at the screen, the number was recognized as that of James.

Shit, she thought as she picked it up. "Elizabeth Waverton," she said sitting up straight.

"Did you make the dinner reservation?" She heard him angrily ask.

"Yes, you're going to Wanira's. Everything is taken care of, all you need to do is step into the car that will be ready at 7 o'clock." She replied in her work voice.

"Ah." He said a bit surprised. "Alright." He said hanging up not even thanking her.

James didn't know what to expect at all as he stepped into the car. Mr. Young would meet him at the restaurant as he would be going home straight after.

He had been surprised by how prepared she had been and by her quick response to the arrival of mister Young.

He smiled to himself as he recalled what Mr. Young had said...

"Curious thing that assistant of yours." He had said. "How come?" James said curiously. 

"Well, I've known her for quite a while now and multiple times I've offered her to work for me. You know offer better payment, tripling what she had now, better benefits and better hours. But she never took it. She always told me her loyalty was with your father." Mr. Young said sipping his wine.

"And I know I'm not the only one to do that, others have told me about that too. But she never took it. I asked your father about it, he would always say that she was the best you could ever have, but her heart wasn't in it." At that Mr. Young paused for a moment, "She is an architect he always said. Business was not her thing." He ended laughing. 

"You are one lucky man Mr. McGregor." He pointed at James. 

"And why is that?" 

"You get her thrown into your lap."

James hadn't told him that she had resigned, he couldn't have him think that he lost her. Overall he didn't like her attitude, but he was impressed by the work she delivered. 

He walked further into his apartment sitting down on the coach. Sighing he slit down into a relaxed pose. He put his hands on his face for a moment before looking back up.

Suddenly from the corner of his eye, he saw something, he saw the light burning in the apartment across the street. He had only lived there for a few weeks and never in that time had the light been on. 

At first, he wanted to draw the curtains, to keep that person from seeing him. But then he looked a bit closer and saw his across the way neighbor. It was a girl, with auburn hair and she was wearing a towel. 

Intrigued he stared at her. The lights in his own apartment were turned off so he knew she didn't know he was there. 

From what he could see she looked quite pretty. She walked over to the kitchen island where she poured herself a glass of water. After that, she walked away and didn't return he decided to pour himself another drink. 

As he sat there casually enjoying his drink he decided to stand up and look down at the city. His eyes trailed the tiny cars driving past down below. He still hadn't bothered to turn the lights on, the lights of the city, however, were enough light for him to see what he was doing. 

After he finished the drink he was about to turn away and go to bed when he saw the girl again. Curiosity took over when he saw her walk into the room, dressed in a camisole and short shorts. Her hair was up in a bun and she was carrying a laptop. She sat down on the couch and opened the laptop. 

He watched intently for a moment, feeling that he knew her from somewhere but shook of the feeling soon. He watched as she moved her face to rest in her hands and her body started shaking. For a moment he felt sad for the crying girl before he turned away and went to bed.