Chapter 38

After their minor argument, although more of a misunderstanding, their weekend went rather well. They decided to avoid public places in order to avoid the paparazzi and spent most of the weekend at James' apartment. 

In fact it wasn't until Sunday evening that Elizabeth went back to hers. Elizabeth knew that the following morning she had to be at work early, for an early meeting, so she decided to sleep at home. 

That Monday morning the meeting went quite well and Elizabeth was about to sit down in her office when Paul came into her office nearly screaming her name. 

"Elizabeth! have you seen this honey?" He held his phone nearly in her face.

"What?" She asked taking the phone from him. Right there she read the front line of a story that had been posted that morning. 

"TROUBLE IN PARADISE?  COUPLE IS SEEN FIGHTING AFTER  JAMES MCGREGOR  WALKS IN ON A DATE OF HIS GIRLFRIEND ELIZABETH WAVERTON."

"O no..." Elizabeth said as she looked at the pictures of her and James in the alley, her seeing James enter the gallery and her and Thomas laughing together. 

Quickly she read the article which went on and on about her "Date" with Thomas and about how James found out and fought about it with her. 

"That's not good." She said handing the phone back to Paul. "I know honey, I know..." He said patting her on the back. 

" O god I have to leave, I got a meeting in five." She said looking at the clock. "See you later!"

It wasn't until after lunch that Elizabeth finally had a moment to herself and turned her phone back on. Immediately she was surprised by the number of texts and calls that she had received from James. She was about to read through all of them when Daniel walked in to inform her that she had to come for a meeting with a client that had been pushed up. 

Quickly she turned off her phone again and followed her boss into the conference room. Quietly she closed the door behind her. For a second she tried to remember with whom her meeting was, it was however when her eyes met those of James that she realized which client. 

"Mr. McGregor, how are you doing?" Daniel said, looking as happy as ever. 

"Fine. How are you?" James replied, looking stern. 

"I'm good, now let's get down to business shall we." 

Daniel and James started discussing parts of the mansion and all the while Elizabeth was listening, but not participating in the conversation. Quite frankly, for this meeting, she realized that she was not really needed. But then why am I here? She wondered lost in thought. 

"Elizabeth?" Daniel said looking at her. "Elizabeth are you still paying attention?" He added waving his arm in front of her. 

"Oh. yes! I... I.. just, my mind wandered off for a moment. What did you ask me?" She said sitting up straight again. 

"James and I were just taking another look at the top floor, at the rooms there," Daniel replied.

"Yes?"

"Well, how many bedrooms do you think are needed?" James asked her looking at her intently.

"I would say a master bedroom and possibly two guestrooms, I mean the space is there," Elizabeth said looking back down at the drawings. 

"But how about a kids room?" James asked, making Elizabeth choke on her own spit. 

"What?" She asked coughing, whilst Daniel patted her on the back. 

"Now now, don't die it would be such a mess." He said laughing as his phone rang. "That must be the wife." He said taking his phone out of his pocket. "What do ya know, I'm psychic, it is the wife." He picked up the phone and left the room. 

"Why did you move the meeting up?" Elizabeth asked him confused. 

"This is why," he said with a stern look on his face as he laid down a magazine cover in front of her. 

"What in the-" She started but stopped once she saw a picture of her and Thomas at the restaurant laughing. "O my god, I didn't even see them." She said picking up the crumbled cover and looking at the picture closely. Sure enough, it had the same title as the article that Paul had shown her. "But I don't understand why did you move up the meeting?"

"Is it true?" James asked her, not even looking at her.

 "What?" She replied, confused by his question. 

"Was it a date?"

Anger coursed through her veins at that question. How could he even think that that was the care? Countless of times had she seen headlines like this, but then with him and a girl in the photo. But not once, had she accused him of anything because she trusts him. 

"Yeah, of course, it was a date." She said in a sarcastic tone. "Just like all the dates that you had with all of those girls." Elizabeth crossed her arms. "But then again did we ever say that we were dating exclusively?" 

"O come on." He said slamming his hand on the table. "Then explain to me why you never told me about you two having dinner? Don't think I am a fool Elizabeth." 

"I did tell you, I told you I had dinner with an old friend of mine. You asked me where we went, I told you and then we continued on." Elizabeth said. 

"But why didn't you tell me that it was a guy."

"Because I also don't tell you when it's a girl. I just don't see what the problem is, so I had dinner with a guy that wasn't you, big deal." 

James was about to counter when Daniel walked back into the room. "Well I need to pick up some stuff for dinner, but other than that I'm fine. So where were we?"

He looked between James and Elizabeth, but he didn't sense the tension between them. He didn't even notice the anger in their eyes as he just continued his meeting as normal. 

"Ah I remember, a kids room," Daniel said looking back down at the drawings. "Planning on starting a family soon Mr. McGregor?" 

Elizabeth looked down and touched her forehead with her hand. Daniel had to be one of the few people in the city that didn't know about her relationship with James.

"I don't know," James replied looking atpapace Elizabeth. "That depends on the woman." 

Daniel missed the look that James gave Elizabeth, but she couldn't say the same. 

"Ah, yes once you've found the right one, things just go naturally. But we can still reserve a room for such an event. Elizabeth what do you think?" He said looking over at the woman beside him. 

"Like said before, the space is there, so it is most certainly possible. The only problem I see is that a fully ready baby room, might scare a woman away."