Chapter 42

"Miss Waverton!" 

Elizabeth turned as she heard a voice come from her left, calling her name. It was a young man, probably not even allowed of drinking the champagne that stood on the platter that he was holding. His hair was short and blonde, buzz cut and his full of excitement as he looked at her. 

"Miss Waverton, it's good that I catch you at his time. The gentleman over there told me, that as soon as I saw you, I should ask for you to join him."

Stunned by this Elizabeth looked in the direction that the young man was pointing in, quite frankly she saw no one that she recognized. "Who if I might ask?" She said furrowing her brows.

"Mr. Daimon ma'am."

"Alright, thank you." She said walking away from the boy and over to the direction of the man. 

To be honest she still had no clue who that man was. But apparently, that man did know who she was. What would he want from her? She thought as she walked through the large crowd of people.

James was halfway to walking over to her when he was stopped by a business associate of him, who wanted to introduce him to his wife. James quickly shook their hands and told them that he had to go, but the second he turned around, she was gone. 

"Shit." He muttered under his breath as he started looking around the room for her. The only problem, however, was that the entire room was filled with people, making it harder to find her...

Elizabeth didn't quite know to whom she was walking over to until she heard her name once more. This time it came from a man who looked to be more her age. He had dark hair and a well-kept stubble on his face. 

"Miss Waverton how nice of you to join me." He said taking her hand and placing a soft kiss on it. 

Perplexed by this Elizabeth quickly pulled herself together and said, "Mr. Daimon I suppose?" whilst pulling back her hand.

"The one and only." 

Elizabeth had to admit, he was quite charming. "Why did you want me to join you?"

"I have a business proposal." He said getting a little bit more serious.

"I don't understand," Elizabeth said crossing her arms.

"Well, you see I want to make you a job offer." 

"I'm going to have to stop you right there sir, I'm not looking for a new job, nor am I interested in becoming a personal assistant again."

"I understand, and though you are a very capable personal assistant it was not the job I was reverting to. I want you in a different position, you are far more usefull then just a personal assistant."  He said smiling at her. 

It didn't take long for James to spot Elizabeth again. The only thing that struck him as odd was the person she was talking to. Quickly he recognized him as Mark Daimon, a competitor of his. Jealousy coursed through him as he watched the two of them talk. It was only when he caught a glimpse of her face that he knew she wasn't too happy with the man. 

He started walking over to the two of them and on his way grabbed two champagne glasses from a waiter walking by. 

"Ah there you are darling, I wondered where you wandered off to." He said walking up to Elizabeth from behind her. 

Quickly she turned her head to look at him. For a split second, he saw the surprise on her face but then she said. "Well, luckily I didn't wander off that far." She said as he handed her one of the glasses. 

"Very true, I still got you your champagne in a very reasonable time," James said placing on hand around her waist. 

"Ah Mr. Daimon, have you met my fiance yet? James McGregor Jr." She said turning back to the other men. 

"Yes, I have, good to see you again James." He said with a nod.

"Good to see you again." James countered. "But if you don't mind, then I 'm borrowing my fiance for a  moment.

"Not at all," Daimon said with a forced smile on his face.

James and Elizabeth then proceded to walk away from him. "Thank you, thank you, thank you," Elizabeth whispered in his ear as they walked away. 

James smiled and replied, "Well it's the least I can do for my Fiance.

Elizabeth chuckled smacking his chest. 

"Ouch, I must say though I don't recall asking you." 

"O shut it, boyfriend sounds so juvenile." 

"Well, I didn't mind being called that, not at all. You just took me by surprise that's all." He said placing his hand on the small of her back. 

"Well don't get too used to it." She said with a mischevious smile on her face as she removed his hand and walked away again. 

"Wait!" He yelled after her. 

He heard her laugh as she disappeared in the crowd again. "Then catch me, if you can." She said.