Chapter 43

"So what do you think?" James said holding up a blue tie. 

"I'm not sure..."

"What's wrong with this one?" 

"I don't know, it's just not right," Elizabeth said walking over to his closet. 

"Then do tell me what is right." James replied sarcastically. 

"O don't worry, I will." 

James smiled, as he shook his head watching the woman before him intently. Standing on her toes she tried to reach the top shelf, her fingers barely touching the fabric above. 

"Let me help you with that." James said walking over to her. 

Elizabeth was about to step away to let him grab the tie, when she felt his hands on her waist. Before she knew it she was lifted up and the tie was at eye level. 

She let out a little yelp, making James laugh as she grabbed the tie. 

"Very funny." She said handing him the tie. 

"So what the plan?"

"What do you mean?" She said turning around to face him. 

"Are we on for dinner?" 

"Not sure. I mean I have meetings all day and so do you. Plus you have this thing with Mr. Yamato remember." Elizabeth said as she straightened his tie. 

"Good point." He said putting has arms around her. 

"How bout this, I'll call you at five, you tell me wether or not you can make it and then I'll make reservations at the Pompadour." She said giving him a quick peck on the cheek, before grabbing her purse and walking out of his apartment. "But right now I gotta run, so see ya tonight!" 

James smiled and shook his head as he watched her leave. 

"Goodafternoon, this i-" Natalie started as she picked up the phone.

"NATALIE! YOU GOTTA HEAR THIS! THIS IS HUGE!" The voice on the other end of the line screamed. 

"Mattie?" She said flinching away from the phone. "What are you screaming about?"

"Sorry! but you've gotta hear this. So today Mr. Urrick walked in talking into his phone about a certain Ms. Waverton." 

That was the sentence that really grabbed Natalie's interest. "Why was he talking about her?"

"Well that's the thing, you see I didn't know. But at that moment, things were quite busy so I stayed put. Then once I had the change to sneak away I went up stairs with his post. Usually Micheal does that, but I told him that I was going up anyways so... Well, to get back to the story, so I went up the stairs and into his office. 

So there he was sitting behind his desk, talking to a guy I have never seen before. Then I heard them say: Trust me, this girl will be worth it. Especially with the pay she'll be getting."

"So why would that be about Elizabeth?" Natalie said not quite following the story. 

"Well I got a glimpse of the email that they had sent her... They're offering her everything... I mean, they want her for a job on the west coast. But they're offering a house, all expenses payed, and on top of that she'll be getting a salary that is at least four times mine."

"What makes you think she'd accept?" Natalie said frowning. "I mean she's had ridiculous offers in the past. She never said yes to any of them either."

"I don't know, but she'd be stupid not to take it." Mattie said.

The two of them continued on their conversation until they both realized they had jobs to do and got back to them. 

Then around four Natalie got a phone call on her cell phone. Looking down at the caller ID she noticed that it was Elizabeth. Slightly confused she picked up the phone. 

"Hello?" She said sounding unsure.

"Hi..." Elizabeth sighed. "Have you got a moment?"

"Sure." Natalie said curious. 

"I need your advice. I got a job offer... A really good one..."

"Go on..." Natalie said as a man approached the front desk. He was about to say something when Natalie held up a finger indicating for him to wait.

"Well I don't know what to think. I mean the pay is great. The job itself isn't really up my alley but... Well god, Natalie, everything is payed for, hell he's even offering me a house... The only problem is... Well..."

Natalie on the other hand was gripping the phone with two hands. Patiently waiting for what her friend would say. In all honesty she wasn't expecting this at all. She had never heard Elizabeth take any of the offerings she had in the past...

The man in front of her started to grow impatient  as this woman was obviously not having a business call. He tapped his foot in annoyance and he looked down at his watch.... "Excuse me I." He started but was soon cut off by Natalie.

"Shhhh." She said holding up a finger to her mouth. 

"I have an appointment." He stated, angered by the secretary. 

"Oh keep your socks on. "Natalie replied as she waved over one of her collages. 

"Look lady, I-" The man started but was cut short once more. 

"Here's Mary, she will help you now." 

The man was about to reply when Natalie just walked away.

"Alright now go on, what's keeping you from taking it?" Natalie said to Elizabeth. 

"Well first of all it is in a business setting, so no more architecture. Which is what I prefer, and to tell you the truth it doesn't suit me at all. And it would also require me to move to California. And that would be away from..."

"James..." Natalie breathed out. 

"Yes?" A voice said behind Natalie, startling her. 

Quickly she spun around and was face to face with James himself. God what is he doing here? She thought as she quickly muttered a I'll call you back later to Elizabeth. 

"Is everything alright Natalie?" He said brows ever so slightly furrowing. 

"Yes!" She said a little bit to loud. "Yes, everything is fine. Is there anything I can help you with?" She said standing up straight.

"Yeah, there actually is... I cannot seem to get a hold of Elizabeth and I have a meeting in ten. Could you check if she's free for dinner tonight and if so, make reservations at the Pompadour?" 

"Yeah... I will..." Natalie said, still thinking about her phone call with Elizabeth. 

"Are you sure you're fine?" James said furrowing his brows even further.

"I'm sure." Natalie said as she started walking away. "I just need to get back to work, that's all."