Chapter 17

A month was about to go by before she would hear from James again. During this time the whole ordeal about the painting would slowly blow over and become old news.

Elizabeth went about her job as usual and occasionally she would meet up with Natalie and sometimes she'd visit Jack.

She was quite contend with the way things were going and only occasionally thought of James. Sure she could still see the painting hanging in his apartment, but it would bother her less and less.

As for James himself, well he'd actually been quite busy. He was going from meeting to meeting, from country to country. On the few occasions that he actually was in town, he'd still have no time for anything else than work. Unlike Elizabeth however, he didn't just occasionally think of her. His old assistant was nearly always on his mind...

"Natalie, I want you to make me dinner reservations at that steak house near my apartment for tonight." He spoke through the phone as he waited at O'Hare airport.

"For how many and at what time?" She answered on the other end.

"For one and at about 7. Also, get me a new assistant the last one didn't cut it."

Natalie couldn't help herself when she heard that, "Two weeks sir, that's a new record."
Followed by an, "o god, I'm so sorry sir I didn't mean it." But by then she had already heard the click of him hanging up on her.

James shook his head as he hung up his phone. He had already been on edge and that comment might have pushed him over it...

Usually, the young billionaire flew on his private plane. Due to some problems with planning the flight, his now ex-assistant had, he now had to fly commercial, something he truly, utterly, despised.

"Natalie I am not going on a blind date" Elizabeth exclaimed. "Oh come on, he's a nice guy." She retorted.

"Nice guy my ass. The last guy you set me up with collected dolls. That man was all kinds of crazy." Elizabeth scoffed. "Alright, I have to admit, I didn't know that Dennis guy very well... But Pete is really a great guy, trust me on this one."

Elizabeth sighed as she shook her head. "Alright, one date." She said holding up one finger. "I'll text him right away!" Natalie said happily.

Elizabeth had regretted saying yes to going on a date with this Pete guy the second she had said yes. She couldn't quite fathom why she had agreed in the first place, but now here she was, waiting for this guy to show up at the restaurant.

Sure she had only been waiting for a few minutes, and she was quite early, but still, she didn't like the waiting. It was right then and there that a Tesla drove up onto the parking lot and a young man stepped out of it.

The man was tall, blond and overall quite handsome. He had a kind face and brown eyes, that zeroed in on Elizabeth the second he saw her.

He handed the valet the keys to the car as he walked over to her. "Hi," He said extending his hand for her to shake. "I'm Pete." Elizabeth greeted him and shook his hand in the two of them went inside.

James wasn't sad to sit by himself at the table, for he had sat alone many times. Today though, he would've preferred to have someone to talk to. 

Quietly he just sat there, waiting for his dinner, drinking his wine and watching the people in the restaurant. James liked sitting in restaurants like this. It is sorta quiet, and sorta really not quiet and that he found just right.

Everything changed however when the hostess walked in with two people walking behind her...

There she was, stunning as ever. Her hair was loose and curled, her dress was tight fitted and navy and on her feet, she wore simple black heels. Elizabeth didn't even look at him as she walked passed him following the guy in front of her.

The guy she was following, however, wasn't a guy that he knew. He didn't give him any glances as all he had eyes for was her.

Annoyance and some anger filled his body as he watched the two of them. Sure he had no right to feel that way, but he didn't care.

Elizabeth had noticed him the second she walked in. Quickly she looked away and pretended to not have seen him, guild, however, filled her as she did so...

She watched as he looked upset as he threw down a couple of fifties, stood up and left. But not before throwing her one last look at her as he did do....