Chapter 44

"Talk to me woman!" Natalie all but yelled as she sat in a supply closet calling Elizabeth.

"No need to scream!" Elizabeth replied keeping the phone away from her ear.

"But what are you gonna do? What's different about this job over all the other ones you refused?"

"Give me a second, I need to find a place to talk." Elizabeth said, getting up from her office chair and walking out of the room. "Alright, well I don't know what to do at the moment. And this job is different. It's not just being someones assistant. It's an actually important job, something like this you usually don't get thrown into your lap."

"So you'll take it?" Natalie said sitting on the edge of her seat.

"Like I said, I don't know. Let's be real I'd be stupid not to take it. But..." Elizabeth paused for a moment and sighed. "But this is not what I want, nor what I ever wanted... What I wanted was to become an architect, lead a nice and simple life, maybe get a dog or something... Now I have become an architect, it's just not nice and simple. But to tell you truth, I can live with that.

It's just well... Like I said I'd be stupid not to take it, but I'd become a person I did not want to be."

"Have you told James this?" Natalie asked.

"No, not yet. He'd just tell me that I don't need the money. Or he'd tell me that he'd move the company to L.A. or something stupid like that."

"Fair point."

For a while they just talked, they talked about the job offering, they talked their weekends, hell they even talked about the weather. It wasn't until they were about to hang up that Natalie remembered the dinner reservation.

"Oh! Before I forget, are you free for dinner tonight? James asked me to ask you that."

"Oh god yeah I forgot myself. But yes I am, though it will be late and I don't want to go out. So please tell him I'll be home at around 7 or 8 and we'll order in."

"Will tell him. Talk to you later!"

And with that Natalie hung up the phone and left the supply closet. Quickly she walked around the corner heading back to the front desk.

Noticing that it was almost five o'clock she put the phone back in its stand and practically ran to the elevator. Once she got inside she pressed the top button as fast as she could and slammed the door close button repeatedly.

The second the elevator doors opened she was met by the eyes of James himself as he made his way over to the elevator. 

"You."  She said walking over to him in a brisk walk. "Come with me." She pointed to his office. 

James his brows furrowed as he pointed at himself confused. 

"Come on, we don't have time for this." She said grabbing him by the tie as she walked passed him. 

Stunned by the whole situation James just followed her not uttering a word. He did however note the surprise on the face of his newest P.A. as she watched him being dragged by the short secretary. 

Natalie pulled him into the office and closed the door behind them.  "Alright, I'm gonna make this short, and you're gonna listen."

James narrowed his eyes as he crossed his arms and nodded. 

"Make your move, do something. Honestly I've been watching you two twirl around it for too long. I mean I thought something would finally happen after that whole incident earlier. But even then you two just made up and nothing changed. 

If you really want her, you gotta ask her. I mean for gods sake she stayed after the whole house thing, if she stayed after that, it's safe to say that she's yours. 

But the two of you need to know where you're at, so do something because she's  not going to be the one to do so." 

After she stopped talking, James just stood there for a moment looking at her with raised eyebrows. 

"Did you just hear anything I said?" Natalie said crossing her arms and raising one eyebrow.

"Yes, yes I did." James said snapping out of it.

"So?"

"So what?"

"Are you gonna go out and get her?" Natalie said louder. 

"Yes." He said realizing what he had to do and started walking over to the door. 

"Wait." Natalie said stopping him. "She will meet you for dinner tonight, but she will be off late, at around 7 or 8 so she wants to just order in." 

James nodded getting ready to leave as he turned back around. "Wait, but what do I do now? I mean I don't have a ring or anything..."

"Well..." Natalie said walking over to his desk and sitting down behind it. "I can make sure the food will be there and ready. Then all you have to do is get the ring and put on your best suit."

"Where do I find a ring at this hour?" James said walking back over to her. 

"Do I have to do everything?" Natalie sighed as she grabbed the phone.

"What are you-" James started but was cut off by Natalie holding up her finger. 

"Yes, hello I'm calling on behalf of James McGregor, He needs to find a wedding ring tonight." She was then quiet for a moment before she spoke again. 

"Good. He'll be over in ten." 

She wrote down an address on a post it and pushed it into his hand as she hung up. 

"Now go! I'll call you in half an hour." She said as she watched him leave. For he didn't have to be told that twice.