Chapter 12

Elizabeth glanced at herself in the mirror as she put on her heels. She put on her earrings as the doorbell rang.

"Come in!" She yelled as she walked out of her bedroom. In her room stood a boy no older than 17 years old wearing a chauffeurs outfits and hat. "Good evening Ma'am, I am to take you to the four seasons." He said taking of that very hat.

"Good evening." She said with a smile as she got her purse. Together with the young man she went downstairs and walked out of the door and into the limousine.

The hotel was like a beacon of light when as she saw it around the corner. She smiled as they got closer. The smile however faded from her face when she saw the paparazzi outside.

"Take me around back." She said to the driver. "But Ma'am-" "Just do it." The driver nodded and drove her around back. Here she got out of the car, thanked him and walked into the back door.

She smiled as she walked past the hotel staff and greeting them as she did so. She then walked into the large ballroom and immediately she was met with the sounds and sight of hundreds of the richest men in the country.

From the corner of her eye, she spotted him. James McGregor Jr. stood tall in his tailored smoking, looking stunning. She knew he didn't see her when he started walking away from her. Behind him, she could see the young blonde in the pink dress that was his date.

Jolene Stone was her name. A young actress trying to make it big in the city of New York. She was pretty and had been in a few tv shows, and Elizabeth knew she would jump at a chance like this. So she had called her and arranged for this pretty girl to be his date.

"Ah, you look stunning as always!" She spun around and was met with the sight of Mr. Moreno standing there. "Why thank you." She said with a smile as he took her arm.

Together they walked around the room for a while, talking to other guests and laughing. Then after a while, they were led to their tables and they awaited the auction.

The gala had been Mr. McGregor seniors idea. He wanted the gala to be perfect and to raise money for the orphanage his wife had come from. He wanted to have an auction. The auction was to be of his art and furniture collection, as he knew he wouldn't have long to live.

Elizabeth felt tears in her eyes as she watched the all too familiar paintings and statues be sold off the highest bidder. It wasn't until midnight that she decided to leave. She had fulfilled her duty and had been Mr. Moreno's date. Sure it wasn't a romantic date, but it was his one condition to come.

She said goodbye to everyone and stood up from the table. She was about to leave the room when the auctioneer said something that got her attention.

"A painting, of his private collection. A painting of his perfect assistant, Elizabeth." She turned around and saw the painting of her standing there upon the stage. 

With a confused look on her face, she stood there and watched be bidding go higher and higher. It was a painting of her, sitting on an arm chair in a green dress. She smiled as she remembered that day.

At that moment, she had only been his assistant for about a year. They had been at his home, right before a big meeting. By now she didn't quite remember what the meeting was about, but she did remember that it was important. She was quite nervous as she stood in his office waiting, as he sat behind his desk working. 

At some point, he had looked up from his work and to stop standing around so awkwardly and to sit down. So she sat down in the chair that was the closest to her. It had been a large old-fashioned armchair with red velvet seating. As she sat there he remarked how her dress fit so well with the chair. It looked just right and like she belonged in that chair. 

At the time he had taken a picture, one she later saw standing on his desk, next to other photos of family and friends. Once she had asked him if he considered her a friend and he had replied, "No my dear, you are family."

She was however abruptly brought back from her thought as the bidding started. At first, it seemed a little slow, but then it took off. Suddenly the bids started to getting quite high and soon they were at 500.000 dollars. Then suddenly a voice rang from the other side of the room. "2 million dollars."

She turned to see James standing there, but his eyes were not on the stage, but on her. Then suddenly Mr. Moreno yelled, "3 million dollars."

The crowd gasped when suddenly James went up to four million and before she knew it the piece was sold for 6 million dollars.

Elizabeth gasped as she watched James and watched all of the faces in the crowd turn to her.

She turned back around and ran.