Brave

Lance sat in a chair beside Keith's hospital bed watching the doctor stitch up the gash in his leg. His jeans had been cut open and all Lance could think about was that they would have to go buy new clothes. 

"I probably shouldn't ask, but why are you two handcuffed?" The doctor spoke up.

"You don't wanna know." Keith sighed. 

"You're probably right." The doctor nodded. 

"Man, when can we just catch a break." Lance groaned.

"You were the one who wanted to go to the hospital." Keith reminded.

"No, not that. I just wanna get home in one piece without all this excitement."

   Keith rolled his eyes and gave Lance a: 'Are you kidding me, what did you expect from kidnapping the son of the Galra father.' look. 

"Don't give me that look." The Cuban grumbled. "I know."    

   Keith glanced back at the doctor when he placed his sutures on the tiny steal table top. "There." The old man smiled up at the boy. "As good as new. You'll be able to get the stitches pulled in about two weeks, then you'll be back to your old self again, not that I can say the same about your trousers." 

"I didn't like them much anyways." Keith shrugged.

"Well you boys are free to go." The doctor stood up. "The nurse will have some pain medicine and a prescription for you at the front desk."

"Thanks doc." Lance waved at the man.

   When the doctor was gone Lance stood up giving Keith a hand out of the bed. Keith held onto Lances arm as his numbed leg tried to give in.

"He shoulda gave us a wheel chair." Lance joked.

"Let's just get out of here." The dark haired male sighed.

"Do you think it would be a bad idea to go find the car?" Lance's face lifted looking at the ceiling.

"Um yes Lance, I do think that would be a bad idea." Keith sassed. "They might have found it and decided to wait or worse." 

"Worse?"

"Do I have to spell it out for you? They could plant a bomb or a tracker to take out your home base."

"Diabolical." Lance gasped.

   Keith winced and dug his nails into the taller males arm leaving light pale scratches on his skin. Lance heaved his free arm over his shoulder and wrapped the two that were attached around Keith's waist to hold him up. The Galran boy wanted to argue his capability to stand on his own but when he opened his mouth the pain slowly began to return to his leg. 

"This sucks, I guess we'll have to do what the pioneers use to do." Lance smirked.

"We are not hitch hiking."

"No, the other thing."

"We can't ride a horse and carriage all the way to whereever we're going."

"No the OTHER thing."

"What other thing?!" Keith got irritated. 

 "The train! Duh!" Lance poked.

"That wasn't..... never mind." Keith gave into Lance's slight stupidity.

"Bet you've never been on a train before." The Cuban cocked.

"No?"

"Good, I get to bring you on another one of your firsts!" 

***************************************************************************

   After a long hobble, a change of clothes and a bit more hobbling the two males finally arrived to the union station.

"So we will take the A unit to the airport then fly out to Las Vegas then get a car." Lance explained looking at the map.

"Why Las Vegas?"

"I don't have time to explain my genius." Lance turned his head.

"Okay genius, how do you expect us to get on a plain with these on?" Keith dangled their cuffed wrists.

"Oh, crap-"

"You don't really think when you plan do you?" 

"Of course I do!" Lance smiled widely. "I was only testing YOU."

"Good lord." Keith sighed.

"Alright plan B."

"I thought you were testing me? Shouldn't this be the real plan A."

"Shut up Keith." Lance frowned. "Plan A! We take the train as far west as it goes then we get a car again and I sacrifice myself to Allura's hand."

"We could go to the RTD west rail line." Keith reminded.

"No time!" Lance yelled.

********************************************************************

   Once the two got past the confused ticket booth and onto the train they headed down the lane for a place to sit down. Keith could feel the eyes of the passengers watching him closely as they passed the full seats. It made his spine tingle and when he looked to Lance he was surprised to see the boy full of confidence with a bright smile over his goofy face. Keith assumed it was because the boy just didn't notice the eyes or that he expected to be watched. Keith looked into one of the chairs at an old lady who smiled up at him, he smiled and waved but his smile faded swiftly when he saw the Galra symbol pinned to her chest. The black haired male looked around at the people to see 1 of every 12 passengers had the symbol over their breast. The prince moved closer to Lance realizing there had also been many spots that the two could sit, yet the Voltron fighter kept his pace and smile moving further down the train. Finally they came to a mostly empty car where Lance pulled them into the far back corner. They sat down and Keith looked at the male waiting for him to say something first. When he didn't the boy opened his own mouth to ask.

"Did you see them?" He asked.

"See who?" Lance raised a brow.

"The G-"

"The galley? oh you mean the hippo key chains, yeah they were adorable!" Lance interupted.

"No the-"

 "Or the shark ones? I know what you're talking about." Lance winked.

  Keith looked confused and couldn't believe that Lance hadn't seen the people in the other cars.

"What are you talking about?"

   Lance grumbled and put his lips by the shorter males face to whisper. "This car has ears."

"Oh, yeah, we should have gotten some." Keith realized looking around for prying eyes.

"You're right, getting off this train is going to be tricky with my heart wanting those chains."

"I'm sure we'll be alright, maybe there will be more chains at the next station."

"Hope there aren't too many I'd hate for a lot of people to have the exact same chains."

"That would be a bit annoying."