Deaths Row

Lance carried them into a small town and as soon as they entered the streets he began to shout for help. People started to leave their houses and stores to see who was causing the commotion. The Cuban's sore body shook as he forced it to carry on. He kept calling but his legs quickly gave way. The river had won. He collapsed onto the road but in a desperate attempt he held keith close to him allowing the boy to land over top of him instead of into the concrete. The landing winded him and he hit his head over the hard asphalt. He watched over Keith's limp body as his eyes began to close and his body put him into a heavy slumber.

************************************

   When lance awoke he was warm and dry. He looked over to his wrist in search for Keith and when he found the boy missing he sat up quickly. For a second his head spun but he shook it off looking to his wrist to see the cuffs were gone leaving only raw red skin. He held his wrist feeling the sting for a moment then he turned over to the bunk beside him to see Keith fast asleep. His head was wrapped in gauze and his body covered in a grey blanket. He looked behind him to see bars. His eyes widened and he sat up to see they were in a jail cell.

"Awe crap." He said standing up to see if there were any cops around. "Excuse me?" He called down the empty hall.

   A small head peered around the corner of a young girl in uniform. She scurried towards their cell and looked at Lance curiously. The Cuban put on a dashing smile and began to "woo" the young woman.

" Oh! You're a cop? I've never seen such a gorgeous officer of the law before." He smirked.

"Awe that's so sweet." She smiled. "But flattery won't get you out of that cell."

"Oh of course not." He paused to read the badge over her shoulder that read "Henderson police department." He looked back into her Hazel eyes and went on. "I only wanted to know what we've been charged with." He asked.

"Well charges haven't been made. However we found you in the streets covered in blood, soaking wet, and cuffed. Witnesses said you were hollering for help. Now you can see how this might be a bit suspicious right?" The brunette explained.

"Yep that is completely understandable." He agreed.

"Rowen." A tall man in a clean chiefs suit called behind her. "Now that one of them is awake I'd like to start."

"Yes sir." Rowen looked at Lance and said. "Alright hands behind your back and face the wall."

"Again with the cuffs?" Lance sighed turning around.

   Rowen reached to her pocket for the keys before unlocking the cell door and clipping the familiar metal bracelets over Lance's wrists. She then lead him to the interrogation room where she then cuffed him to the bar on the table. He looked at the chief who sat down in Front of him.

"Boy, you can imagine I have quite a few questions."

"Oh yeah."

"Well then I guess I'll start with the most obvious. Why were you handcuffed?"

"Keith is my partner... I put the cuffs on us." Lance explained.

"Alright then what happened to the two of you?"

"The train we were on was bombed. Instead of waiting we stopped the train and jumped into the river. I dragged us to the shore but Keith was hurt. So that's what brought us to town."

"Well that's quite a story."

"It's the truth."

"Well when your 'partner' wakes up you do understand we will have to ask him his side of the story to make sure it lines up." The chief explained.

   For a moment Lance felt panicked. "Yes I understand." He agreed.

"Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" The chief pushed.

"Only if you have some more questions."

"I suppose I do." The chief went on. "How did you know the train was bombed."

"I didn't." Lance shrugged. "Keith did."

"Well. Then I suppose we're done for now. Rowen will take you back to the cell and I'll question Keith when he wakes up. Rowen will take your information when you are both ready." He stood Opening the door and letting Rowen in.

    The female cop took Lance back to the cell and when he was locked back up He heard the girl sigh.

"I'm sorry about all this." She said. "I'm sure this will be over soon."

"Thank you." He smiled up at the girl.

   Rowen smiled back and when she left Lance looked back at Keith. He felt slightly chilled by the thought that Keith might spill everything and it would be over before it started, and yet something told him everything was going to be fine. This was Keith's way to escape and return to his own life. He had many opportunities to escape but he didn't. In fact he helped Lance over and over again even from his own people. But why? He never got a real answer and couldn't understand why he wouldn't have escaped when he could and why even though his head told him Keith would tell the cops and be free. Everything in his heart told him other wise.

   He stood up and walked to Keith's side crouching down and holding his hand. He rested his head beside Keith's and sighed calmly rushing his thumb over the paler males hand.