Dream Team

Lance sat with Keith across from one another in the city diner. Their plates were loaded with hardy breakfasts and their cups filled with coffee. The two ate as if they hadn't eaten in weeks. It had been a while since the two had something that didn't come out of a paper bag or cardboard box. So it was only natural they would eat this way. They eventually slowed down when they felt full.

"Awe man that was good." Lance smiled widely.

"You're telling me." Keith agreed.

"Oh you don't like my cooking?" Lance smirked.

"I don't know. You've never cooked."

"This is true." The Cuban agreed.

"Lance?" Keith's dark grayish blue eyes looked up into Lance's.

"Yes princess?" Lance toyed.

"What are the Voltron paladins like?"

   Lance was taken by surprise by Keith's sudden interest. He locked his fingers together and rested his elbows on the table.

"Weeeell. There's Pidge. She's a whiz tech she's always finding out impossible things and saying crazy siencey words. Then there's Hunk. He's my best friend. He's this huge bad ass engineer slash heavy weapons expert. He looks like a beast but he's more like a teddy. He's a big softy, the guys afraid of his own shadow. But he's an amazing cook and a perfect best friend. Then there's Allura. She's like our leader in a way. She's smart, strong, vicious and really pretty. And then there's me!! The handsome Sharp shooter."

"That's all?" Keith's brow raised. "I read stories of the 5 paladins but you only have 4."

"Well yeah." Lance shrugged. "We are looking for two new paladins. We recently lost our red lion and our black lion." He admitted. 

"Wouldn't that make 6 paladins?"

"Its kinda complicated." Lance chuckled.

"Sounds like it." Keith nodded.

"It'll make more sense when you meet them. Might take a bit of warming up."

   Keith was suddenly reminded that he was an enemy. He would have to earn their trust whether they new he wanted to help or not.

"Yeah." He bowd his head.

"Hey, cheer up. Once they get to know you I'm sure they'll love you. Warts and all."

   Keith wasn't so sure about that. He had never had anyone other than Shiro before. This made him afraid of being rejected by almost anyone. So he pushed people away to keep himself safe. Yet around Lance he felt different. He felt comfortable, playful, as if he could say anything around him. He was so easy to talk to, so easy to tease, he pushed Keith to be more than just a hidden weapon.

"Hopefully they aren't as nice as you." Keith snickered sarcastically.

"Only Hunk." Lance sighed thinking about how savage Allura and Pidge could be sometimes. "But that's what makes them so loveable."

   For a moment they stopped talking and began to eat the rest of their breakfast. Lance began to look around until he stopped once more at the bandage over Keith's head. He looked outside to the small city streets to see a blue inn right across from them.

"Hey, why don't we stay at a hotel tonight." Lance suggested.

"What?" Keith questioned. "Shouldn't we find a car and keep going?"

"Well Yeah, eventually. But we just spent the night in jail. Don't we deserve to sleep on something a little more comfortable?"

   Lance's eyes didn't leave Keith's wounded scalp. Keith stared at Lances eyes wondering where he was looking and when he clued in he felt anger bubble inside of him.

"You mean I need to rest?" He shot.

"Well yeah. You're hur-"

"I'm fine!" Keith interrupted. "We shouldn't stop here so close to the wreck. My father's men could be here any moment."

"Yeah I know. But don't you think you should rest at least a little bit before we go for the long hall."

"I can rest when we get there." Keith argued.

"But-"

"Don't pitty me Lance. This is a war. Not a highschool."

"That doesn't even make sense." Lance raised a brow.

"Whatever!"

   Keith crossed his arms and looked away like a pouty child. Lance's worried eyes watched him closely.

"Look man. I'm not pittying you. I'm tired, you're tired. I just want to get a good night sleep before something else happens."

   The dark haired boy looked slightly alarmed. Like a kitten who was barked at and didn't know how to react.

"Fine."

"Keith. I know you're tough. But even the strongest needs to rest sometimes."

"I'm sorry." Keith avoided eye contact.

"It's alright. We're a team now right? No more cuffs, no more telling each other what to do. Just you and me taking on the world, looking out for one another. Sound good?"

"Yeah." Keith smiled.

"No longer Lance and Keith neck and neck. Now Lance and Keith dream team."

"Dream team?"

"Yeah the dream team?"

"That's an awful name." Keith rolled his eyes.

"I think it's great." Lance laughed.

"We'll work on it."