Could You Love Me {XXXII}

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

I don't know how long we waited for, but it felt like hours.

The sun was barely peaking over the horizon and the street lights were starting to flicker on from the lack of light.

"Do you think they're okay?" I asked Imogen, feeling somewhat better than what I felt earlier.

Imogen stayed in my room as I took a shower, since I was a little nervous to be alone, and I got some food in my system, which I had seemed to have forgotten all about.

My wet hair clung to my face as I messed with the fuzzy socks on my feet, nervously awaiting her answer.

"I think they're fine. They'll probably be back any minute." She assured, turning on the T.V.

The house was vacant, the only noise coming from the TV, but soon after the sound of an engine revving and various car doors slamming were heard.

Heavy footsteps sounded as they came inside, following the lights into the living room.

Chase sported a busted lip and bruised jaw. Dean had a faint black eye, but it didn't look too bad. Archer had busted knuckles, one of his fingers looking swollen like it was broken.

Then my eyes landed on Axel, the sight making my heart drop to my stomach.

"Who's blood is that?" I panicked, his eyes never leaving me as he answered. 

"Not mine."

I sighed, mostly out of relief, being careful of his hands as I pulled him into the bathroom. There was cut on his bottom lip, making it bright red and more plump than usual. His hands were covered in blood, some from his busted knuckles but some wasn't his. Blood was splattered on the front of his white t-shirt but on his back was what caught my attention.

"Take off your shirt." I ordered, leaving him no room to question me.

I turned him around to see a large gash on his back, but it wasn't deep enough for stitches.

"How did you get cut?" I panicked once more, making him hiss in pain as I started to clean it.

"One of them had a knife." He managed to get out, through gritted teeth.

"A knife!?" I yelled, though I shouldn't of expected anything less from those sick people.

I washed the blood off his hands and chin, carefully wrapping his knuckles. Out of all the fights Axel's been in, I'd never seen his knuckles that torn before.

I left the bathroom, quickly running upstairs to Alexander's room to get Axel a new shirt, handing it to him as I jogged back down.

As I went to walk out of the bathroom again, he grabbed my wrists gently, pulling me back in. I was trapped in between him and and the wall, most likely intentional on his behalf so I couldn't escape.

"You're mad." He announced, making me finally look into his ocean eyes.

"No, I was worried." I contradicted, looking away from him.

"If you thought for a second that I was going to let him get away with what he did to you- " Axel's temper rising cut him off, a cold look on his face as he took a step back. "I should've done more. I should've killed that sorry son of bit-"

"No you shouldn't of." I cut him off.

He looked down at me with an intensity that made me feel so small, his jaw clenching and unclenching as if he was trying to hold himself back. His hands left the wall behind me and gently pulled the collar of my shirt down to reveal my bruises.

"You see those? Those are my fault. I let you leave without me, I didn't follow after you like I knew I should've, I'm a fucking idiot." He spat, angrily raking a hand through his hair.

"No." I dismissed, shaking my head. I took a step forward so he was the one trapped in between me and the wall, grabbing his chin to make him look down at me. "It's nobody's fault but my own Axel, do not try and blame yourself for this."

"But I-"

"But nothing Axel. You dealt with it already and it's in the past, so let's leave it there, okay? I'm tired of talking about it." I ordered, my tone filled with the at most seriousness.

"Okay." He nodded after a short silence.

I sighed leaning forward, my head pressing against his chest as he wrapped his arms around me carefully.

We stayed like that for a good minute, before I grabbed his hand, pulling him back out into the living room.

Archer and Dean both gave me a sympathetic look, obviously knowing what happened but not sure of what to say, which I was thankful for.

I was so tired of talking about it.

They both embraced me in a hug, to which I returned, feeling slightly squished but loved and grateful nonetheless. Chase butted in as well, not saying anything as he held me to him, that being the second time he's had to deal with that whole thing. The beating up, the comforting, the taking care of, I felt sorry.

But that's what best friends are for and I knew he would do it a million times over again if he had to.

After awhile Archer and Dean left and a hesitant Imogen remained.

"Imogen I'll be fine." I assured her.

"I don't want to leave you by yoursel-"

"She won't be by herself, I'm staying." Axel announced, watching as Imogen shot me a look.

I gave her a small smile to which she eyed suspiciously, but complied nonetheless.

"I'll be back tomorrow." Imogen stated, proceeding to leave with Chase.

I wrapped myself up in a blanket and started to watch whatever shit movie was playing on the TV, feeling a wave of tiredness.

Axel laid down on the couch, pulling me down with him for apparent reasons that he wanted to hold me, to which I complied.

I looked up at him to see his eyes were shut and I could feel his breathing slowing, indicating he was falling asleep.

Lying my head back down on him, I mimicked his actions, wasting no time drifting off.

***