05. Get To Know Me {Part 1}

Few Weeks Later.
Narrator's POV

(Jabri's Room)

Weeks had passed and Jah was still feeling the same. He had done nothing but lay in bed and smoke blunts since he'd been released from the hospital. The only time he got up was to shower, brush his teeth and change his bandages. He had a limp that required a crutch so he wasn't in a rush to go out. However, he was tired of sitting on his ass. The director at the rec; Mr. G, had been blowing his phone up but he wasn't in the mood to answer.

Other than that, Tez had been hitting him up too. He would call to joke with him just to keep his spirits up. Even though Jah wasn't in the mood to laugh, he couldn't help it because Tez was a fool. "I'm deadass J, she was bold! A fucking lamp though, my nigga?!" Tez exclaimed over the phone as Jah laughed. He was telling him how him and Tati had an argument and she threw a lamp at him.

"You deserved that shit, I bet. You lucky you got a lamp and not a bullet nigga. Shit killing me over here." Jah groaned as he got up and grabbed his crutch. He put his phone on speaker and made his way to the bathroom to pee. "Damn, my bad yo. How you holding up?" He asked him. "I'm straight, I'm just mad as shit. I can't move around like this, shit wack. I swear to God whoever did this shit is dead, real talk." Jah gritted as he finished up in the bathroom. He put his crutch up against the wall before washing his hands.

"Aight J, don't go and do no stupid shit. You almost off probation, don't fuck that up." Tez warned. "Heard ju. I'ma holla at you later though." He ended the call quickly and groaned aloud, taking a minute to lean on the wall. It seemed as if the pain was becoming unbearable in his side. No matter how many blunts he smoked, he couldn't rid the aching in it. It only made him madder, that's why he's been drowning himself in drugs in the past weeks.

I can't drink but I can take pills, he thought.

With that in mind, he opened the medicine cabinet and took out the bottle of Percocet the doctor prescribed and poured two into his hand. He glanced down at them briefly, letting an old memory fill his head as he stared at himself in the mirror. He was contemplating it but that was soon short lived. He shook off the feeling and closed the cabinet. He made his way to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. He popped the pills into his mouth and flushed them down quickly. Before he could make it back to his room a knock sounded at his door.

"Fuck is this..." He mumbled to himself as he made his way to the door.  The knock sounded again, harder this time making Jah grumble in irritation. "Yo, hold the fuck up!" He yelled as he moved at the same slow pace, but soon making it over to the door. He took a minute to look through the peephole before he opened it, a confused look grazing his face once he did, at the sight of his probation officer.