07. To New Beginnings

2 Months Later.
|June|

Brooklyn, NY

Cortez Brooks

Cortez Brooks

After 2 years and 5 months, I was finally opening Brook's; my soon to be money maker. I've waited a long time for this moment and I'm glad it finally came around. I had plans to have more than one store here in Brooklyn and a few other cities. I wanted to create my own shoe and build my brand. I was happy as hell but nervous about tonight, so I hoped everything worked out.

I worked overnight so as soon as I got off, I came straight to the shop. I'd been here since 8:15 am just fixing shit up. Wasn't nothing really wrong with the shop but I had to be extra. Looking down at my phone, I finally read Tati's text message that she sent before I got off. Lately we ain't been seeing eye to eye because I've been working my ass off.

Coming home late hours to her was me 'fucking around'. Even though she knew my schedule, in her mind I was on some other shit. It was annoying, fussing with her 25/8, so most times I stayed quiet. That had her jumping to conclusions too, so it was a lose-lose situation.

I guess I couldn't blame her though, she's been through hell in the past.

Instead of replying, I exited out of my messages and called my first lady. My moms was my number one supporter through everything. She raised me; her only child, with occasional help from my grandfather. He was my father to me. I clicked her name and put the phone to my ear as I hopped on top of the counter. It rang three times before she answered.

"Hey baby." She happily said into the phone. "What's up old lady?" I joked. "Boy, I'm as young as the day. What's going on?" She asked. "Nothing, at the shop just checking on a few things. What you doing out this early?" I questioned. "Grocery shopping. And I had to make a couple of other runs. You ready for tonight?" She asked. I sighed a little before responding. "Yeah, I guess so. I only got three lil homies for the opening. So, we hiring as soon as we up and running." I told her.

Thankfully, I had my lil cousin Reggie and his two homies AJ and Lonzo to work with me. They were all in their last year of high school so I offered them a chance to make money before graduation. After that they were off to college for a shot in the NBA and NFL.

"Don't worry about it, baby. Everything will work out...I believe in you. I can't wait to see the inside." She encouraged. "You gonna make it tonight?" I asked. "Yes baby. But just for a little bit, you know I have church in the morning." She giggled. "I know. I just want you here to see it, see what ya boy done did." I bragged. "I know it looks good in there. You said Jabri helped, right?" She asked. "Yeah, J helped with the design and vision. He gone be here tonight too." I told her. "That's good. It'll be nice to see him. Will Tatiana be there?" Her tone changed to a disapproving one. My mom's wasn't a fan of Tati because of how she treated me. She wasn't a fan of her putting her hands on me.