Chapter 5

ELLA’S P.O.V

Today was my first day at school!  And I didn’t know what to expect, except the fact that I was going to the same classes with Riley – based on the subject arrangement.  Thanks to Mom, I was going to have those awkward moments at school just because I knew Riley wouldn’t throw his sight to me for whatever reason.  He didn’t like me that much.

“Ella?”  I heard Toby’s voice from outside, knocking.

“Yes,” I opened the door for him and let him in.

“Walk together, shall we?  I’d like to accompany you to go to school, during school, and after school.”

“Too much rules, you know that?”  I stick my tongue.  Toby would always do this to me; he acted like a cop with the fact that he’s way younger than me.

“Too much complaining, you know that?”

“Okay well stop it.  Gosh, have you eaten your breakfast already?  We’re running late!”  I yelled once I was looking at the clock and the class would be started in any 30 minutes.

“Chill, El.  We’re all good.  It would be fine as long as you…  As long as you love me…”  There we go; the singing Toby, exploring his JB’s side.  Yeah I know right.

We were at the living room, waiting for Connor and Riley to get ready.

“Let’s go.”  Connor spoke to both of us with his plain reaction.

“Eat your breakfast first guys.”  Toby reminded.

“No need.  You want to go or not?”

“But Ella prepared some sandwiches already…”

“No need.  You hear me?  Let’s go, now.”

I knew the rude expression was still glued on their faces but I was glad they didn’t spill the rudeness into words.  At least things were getting better, I hope.

We walked along the pedestrian path headed to school, which was not too far from home.  Connor was slowly walked behind me, followed by Riley, and Toby and I walked side-by-side having some tiny conversations.

“So, your first subject is going to be Geography.  You’re going with me.  I’ll show you the way.”  Riley spoke – again, too slowly – and led me once we stepped into the school.  I had to say goodbye to Toby and Connor.

“Bye El, enjoy your first day!  Until lunch break!”  Toby kissed my forehead and pinched my nose then ran away.  I meant he’d always run, even if that’s unnecessary.

“Bye guys, see you soon.”  Connor looked at me in the eyes which was quite weird, bowed his head, and made a way further across the corridor.  Now it’s only me with Riley; wonderful.

“This way,” he showed me the way as I nodded.

As we walked over, I saw the lockers room with so many kids in there.  Some of girls threw their weird looks on me, which I didn’t know why.  I was actually scared, but thank God I had Riley with me.

“RILEY!  LONG TIME NO SEE!”  A girl’s voice from the corner of the class literally made me jump a bit.  Too loud, miss.

“Hey,” was all he got as he threw a simple smile to the girl with the maximum level of excitement.  There’s a love in the air, maybe?

“Sit here.”  Riley commanded me.  I took the sit and started to unload my bag; books and pencils, everything, just to kill the moment.

“Who’s the girl, Riley?  Mind if I sit here?”  That girl came back and spoke to us; I meant to Riley.  “And you may have my seat right there.”  She smiled to me.  I knew that’s fake.

I was about to walk over Riley to sit at the girl’s seat, until Riley stopped me.  “You, sit here.”

“But I think…”

“Sit here!”

“Riley, I think she’s better sit…”  The girl tried to argue.

“Can I have a private talk, please?”  Riley looked at me, again.  “Please, if you don’t mind.”  And threw his sight to the girl, signed like ‘oh maybe you should go’ or something.

I bowed my face even deeper looking at my shoes, as Riley began to speak.

“So, let’s clear this up.  You need to stay by my side for no matter what.  I’m going to protect you, alright?”

You knew how stiff I became, right?

“No need, Ri.”

“Oh yes need.  I don’t compromise about this.  Your safety is important to me.”  He gave me the widest smile ever and focused back to whatever he was doing.

That mood swing was killing me though, you got it?