Chapter 24

ELLA’S P.O.V

The rest of the dinner time was okay.  The fact that Mandy’s parents were nice to me was calming me down.  It’s all about Mandy now.  She’s been looking at me during the dinner.  She got the perfect spot between Riley and Connor, leaving me with Toby across the table.  Complained about everything, from the unclean table to the okay food, she always wanted more.  As many times as her parents tried to shut her mouth, she couldn’t stop talking.

“So thank you for today, Joan.  We’ll see you all soon.”  Mrs. Wheatley hugged Mom, finally the dinner has done.  “Thank you for coming!”  Mom replied her and the rest of it was the conversation between them saying thank you to each other.

Having no business right here, I made my way to the table and started to clean up.  I got Toby helping me but I said to him that it wasn’t polite to leave your guests like that.  I was walking back and forth carrying plates in my hands, and put it into the washing dishes.

‘Hey you,” I felt somebody’s hand stop me.  “Watch out maid, we’re too far from over.” And she walked away.

“Mandy…”  I was freezing but could still hear Mr. Wheatley tried to stop his daughter.

“Nothing Dad, just want to say goodbye to her.”  Yeah of course, she spoke the nonsense.

I made my way to the kitchen and stood before the washing dishes, tried to hold my breath and stop crying.  She couldn’t be serious.

“El,”

“Uh…”

“Hey look at me.”  Connor held my hands slowly and intertwined our fingers.  “This was all jokes.  I wouldn’t be with her.”

“What…hah…  What are you talking about?”  I gave a weak smile and turned around.

“Didn’t you hear it?  I know you were there.”

“What?”

“Mandy wants me, you heard it right?”

“Whatever that makes you happy, I’m happy.”

“I’m not happy with her, you know me.”

“Okay now what?”

“Nothing, like I told you, it’s even worse than just a joke.  She’s humiliating herself in front of both families.  Everybody knows it won’t happen, like never will happen.”

“Good.”

“Uh, what?”  He winked at me.

“Hah nothing,”

“Okay let me help.”  He pulled up the long sleeves and helped me to clean the table.  The McDonough brothers have been trained by Mom to do this kind of stuff; no matter how tired they were even from the tour, Mommy McDonough would always ask them to at least help her to clean the house.  It’s a good habit.

And me, I was taking a deep breath; it’s good to know that Connor wouldn’t be with Mandy, not a single chance.