Chapter 23

ELLA’S P.O.V

“Boys, Ella, come on here!”  Dad yelled from downstairs and asked us to join him and Mom. 

“YES DAD!” Me, Toby, Riley and Connor were yelling the same thing and it turned out as a creepy one.  Hah.

“Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Wheatley…”  Mom and Dad greeted them and we were all just standing there, gave our best and genuine smiles, waiting for one of them to introduce us.

“So these are our sons.  This is Connor, and Riley, and Toby.”  Mom introduced them to our special guests.  “Oh and this one is my lovely daughter, Ella.”

“Is she your daughter, Ma’am?  I don’t think she is.”  There’s a rude tone came from behind Mr. and Mrs. Wheatley.  “Hey I’m Mandy.”

I could feel Connor and Riley’s hand were on my waist because they were standing beside me, and Toby walked from Riley’s side and stood behind me closely.

“Mandy!”  Mrs. Wheatley scolded her daughter.

“What Mom, she’s the housemaid!  Oh good evening Mr. and Mrs. McDonough, and hey guys!”  She greeted anyone but me.  In fact, she insulted me before the dinner has begun.

“Hello Mandy, this is our daughter, Ella.”  Dad noted the sarcasm; and I was really sure there would be a war tonight, let’s counting down.

“Come inside.”  The parents shook the tension off and I bet they were trying to look normal.  I knew what I had to do.  Instead of joined the meeting, I’d rather be at the kitchen and prepared something.

“I…excuse me,  I will be at the kitchen to prepare the dinner.”  I said politely right before Mom signed me to join them.

“Okay, Ella.  See you soon.”  Mr. Wheatley smiled to me followed by the others.

“So Mr. McDonough, just like I said before…”  I slowly heard their conversation as I kept walking further.

“Just call me Mark.”  I heard Dad’s voice.

“Yes Mark, my daughter Mandy really loves your sons’ band.  She's a huge fan.  These three young men have really good taste in music.  In fact, the funny thing is, Mandy asked me to match one of your sons to her.”

No way.

“Haha…are you serious?”  Dad and Mom laughed awkwardly just because I knew that Mom said to me that this should be a business meeting; not like this.

“She loves Connor.  Okay you boys look so similar or it’s just me because this is my first time meeting you.  Which one is Connor?”

There was an excellent silence between them until I heard Connor mumbled politely.  “Me…”

“Oh yeah, they’re perfect for each other right!”  Mrs. Wheatley exclaimed.

Connor bowed his head all the time during the conversation, so did Riley and Toby.  This wasn’t right.  I was freezing hiding behind the wall, tried to hear more of it; not to be rude but it’s too hard for me to breathe already.

After spending like 10 minutes there, I left those two rich families at the living room and made a way inside the kitchen.  I found Tank.  He barked slowly to me and rested his body on my feet.  I sit with him and spent about another 20 minutes, crying.

“Ella, is everything okay?”  I was crying silently but too hard until I couldn’t see Mom’s coming toward me.

“Yeah Mom I’m okay.”

“No you’re not.  Sorry about Mandy.  I know what she did to you at school.”  Mom swept my tears away and hugged me.  “Everything’s going to be fine.  You’re my daughter.”

“Thank you Mom…”

“You’re very welcome, honey.  Okay now let’s bring this all out to the table.  It’s time for dinner.”  She walked over me and I followed.

Yeah, finger crossed.