Chapter 37

ELLA’S P.O.V

This was it.  Yesterday’s prom was so much fun.  And yeah, I was with Riley now.  But the thing was I haven’t told Connor yet.  Riley had been asking me if it was okay for him to tell Connor in person, but I guess it’s not the best decision.  I should face this however.

“Connor, are you there?”  I knocked the basement door.  I saw him going to the basement 10 minutes ago; maybe he was tracking the melody of the new song.

“Yes El, come on in!”

“Sorry, am I interrupting?”

“Nope,” He popped the ‘p’.  “Let me show you something, sit in here.”

He strummed the guitar in front of me and started to sing.

‘Cause I see you with him, slow dancing

Tearing me apart ‘cause you don’t see

Whenever you kiss him, I’m breaking

Oh how I wish that was me

“This popped out of my mind when I heard One Direction’s song today!  Hah this was a song from their first album.  I just love the idea of making cover of it!  How was that?”

I tried my best to smile but ended up crying.  My goodness…

“Connor, I need to talk…”

“Hmm,” He turned around and saw my concerned expression.  He put the guitar down and put his attention on me.  “Done, what is it?”

“I…you said that…I…have always…time to…think and…choose…”

“You are correct.  Go on.”

“Uh…I…”

“Ella, spill it out.”  He held my hands and because of it, it’s even harder for me to speak.

“I’m…you…I’m with…uh…Connor I…”

“I’m listening.”

“I’m with Riley.”  I closed my eyes like I couldn’t stare at his face at this stage.  This was hard.  May I run?

There was a silence between us both as I heard Connor’s taking a deep breath.  I thought he would throw something and yell at me.  But the next second, I felt his lips on my forehead.

“I love you.  And the most important thing is I appreciate your every decision.  You’re happy with Riley, so go for it.  I’m okay.”

You know, I’ve told you that somehow I gained some power I didn’t know where it came from.  Like this one.  I held Connor’s hands, lifted my head, and kissed his lips.  This was the very first time I replied whatever he’s done to me.  I felt it’s the right thing to do.  Not to mention that I didn’t love Riley anymore.  It’s just…to end everything with Connor.

“What was that for?”  He pecked my lips.

“For everything, I just want to say thank you.  So thank YOU.”

“Hey, no more tears.  Come on let’s get out of here.”

“Hmm?”

“You’ll be Mrs. McDonough someday, and I know you’ll always be with us.  So that’s what matters to me.  Can we go upstairs?”

I punched his arm playfully and we both walked up to the living room.  Riley was there, staring at nonsense on TV.  Please, I’ve lived in here for months.  I knew Riley didn’t watch that cooking show stuff.  I left Toby Connor and Riley at the living room, and I made a way to my room.  Riley said I better join him at his room, started immediately.  But I didn't feel like to pack my stuff again anytime soon, so we'll see.

I was about to close my door.  A shower would be great though. 

“Baby,” I saw Riley held the door and stood in front of me.

“Oh hey…”

“Connor is fine.  You did great.  See?  You’re that wise.”

“What?”

“I saw it.”  He closed the door and sit on my bed.

“You saw what…you…no…Riley…”  I stuttered. 

“I know what happened at the basement.  You love him.”

“But I love you more…”

“I know,” He came closer and kissed me.  I felt relieved about everything.  This definitely wasn’t an easy journey to everyone.