Chapter 30

It’s May 1st, one day before the prom.  I planned myself to explain to these two brothers about me who would go to the prom with Toby.  It’s better this way, I thought.  I asked Toby to not letting them know before I did.  Just let me do this by myself.

“Con, I need to talk...”  I knocked his door and a second later, he opened it.

“Come on in.”  I came inside and sit on the couch.

“About the prom…uh…”

“Just spill everything, I’m all ears.”

“It’s for everybody’s good.  I don’t think…it’s the best decision to…go…with any…of you…”

“Okay…”  He bowed his head.

“Oh my God Connor, don’t do this…  I love everything you do.  Seriously I mean it; I would be honored to go to the prom with the only Connor McDonough…  But the thing is…  You said to me that I have to do whatever I think it’s the right thing to do…”  I covered my face with my both hands.

“No it’s fine at all, El.  I understand.  You don’t want to start the war, right?”

“Yeah whatever you call it…”

“I called this the best decision ever.  Have you told Riley?”

“No, you’re the first.”

“But the last question would be…will you at least come to the prom?  Promise you if you didn’t like what we have at the party, I’d drive you home.”

“I will…with Toby.”  I tried to smile.

“Whoa Toby wins your heart!”  I raised my eyebrows and tickled Connor everywhere.

“Proud of you, you’re wise enough to choose.”

“Thank you…” 

This time I pulled Connor into my hug which he didn’t see it coming before.  I just wanted to do so.  Felt so relieved after all, these boys had the biggest heart.  We talked for about 15 minutes before I left Connor to continue whatever he was doing.  He said he was working with the new song, so I gave him that space he needed.

Okay so one down, one more to go.

I knocked Riley’s door but I didn’t know how, he’s a second faster than me.  He let me in and we sit on the corner of his bed.

“What is it, El?”  Riley gave me a short hug and put his hand on my back.  “Is it about the prom?”

“Yeah…”

“Was Connor asking you too?”

“Yeah…”

“And you said yes?”

“No…”

“So…”

“I think I’m going to go with Toby, Ri…  I think that’s the right thing to do…  I’m sorry…”

“Shh…  Hey, why say sorry?  It’s not your fault.  Told you, there will always be an option to be chosen.  And you did well.”

“You’re not angry with me?”

“Why would I?  Gosh Ella, come here.”

He hugged me and I could feel that pure heart that he has.  It’s so comfortable.  I couldn’t imagine before that we could be this close to each other, as well as to Connor.  I thought this house would be a nightmare for me.  And this condition, this was a lot easier than I thought it could happen.