Chapter 9

RILEY’S P.O.V

“Hey Ella I’m here…  It’s Riley.”  I held her hand carefully because she closed her eyes, I didn’t know if she’s sleeping or crying in pain.

“Oh you’re here…”

“Yes I won’t leave you.”  This time I held her hands tighter and looked at those bruises on her wrist.  “Wait, since I know you never cut yourself, where was this from?”  I touched the bruises slowly.

“Uh…I don’t remember but I saw Mandy with her small scissor before I passed out.”

“SHE CUT YOUR WRIST?”

She nodded slowly and I cried already; she’s been through too much in a single day.  That should be very painful.  I meant how could she been that sadistic to Ella?

“Riley, are you crying?”

“No…”

“Silly…”

“Okay, yeah I’m crying.  So sorry I never imagine it can be happened to you…”

“Ssh…I’m fine…”

I looked at her in the eyes as she blinked a single tear from the corner of her eyes.  I didn’t know where did I get the power but I came closer and...kissed her forehead…maybe too long.

“I’ll protect you, I promise.”  I closed my eyes while kissing her forehead as we both cried.

“Thank…you…”

I took my position again sitting beside her still holding her hands.  She slowly closed her eyes again and hopefully she’s in the deepest sleep.  And out of my control, I was looking at her face, admiring it.  Remind me where were us three days ago, that yelling stuff, and now I should admit that this whole thing that happened to her broke my heart just like that.

“Riley,” Toby shocked me from daydreaming.  Realized that I still held her hand, I slowly let it go.

“How was that?”  I asked no one in particular.

“Mr. Johnson said that Mandy won’t be around until she can control herself.  That’s the best way to stay Ella away from this.”  Connor explained as I nodded.

“Agreed,” I mumbled looking at her peaceful face.  No I meant we three were staring at her.

“So what’s next?  School is over.”  Toby spoke.

“Um…I have football today, but she needs to go home.”  I answered and looked at two of them, waiting.

“I have basketball.”  Toby and I finally threw the look to Connor.

“Okay sure I’ll take her home.  Just text me when you’re done with the activities because I’ll take the car with me first, then I’ll pick you both again.”

“Okay it’s settled.” 

We were both splitting up; I was walking to my locker then headed to the football room, exchanged.  I was pretty sure Toby did the same thing but he was going to the basketball room.  And the last one was Connor; he stayed at the nursery room to wake Ella up, and would drive her home.