ONE

Macy

"Macy, hurry up! We are running late." My mom scolds me and I just roll my eyes. It's the same shit with her all the time. I can't seem to understand the constant need of having to play house with her whenever she gets sick of her boy toys.

"Let's go!" She heads toward the car and I tag along. I play her game only for a little bit but it is never enough to satisfy her selfish cruel needs.

I get in the car and she just sighs. "What now?" I asked, annoyed.

"Please, try to be happy for me?" She says but I can't get on the same page as her. This is the third time she gets married and I will be missing another life that is slipping out of my fingertips. The start of a new life may sound appealing to her but not for me.

Playing the new kid isn't fun anymore, especially the third time. It is old and so fucking exhausting having to do it all over again.

"Macy?" She insists and I nod and offer her a smile and she starts the car. Right now all it takes is a stupid smile and she is content but later it'll be 'why don't you talk to me anymore' or 'why can't you just try for once'. But she never sees how all this sudden huge change takes a toll on me too.

The silence in the car is enough to drown me alive but I don't mind it at all. I find comfort in it because sometimes it is all I need when I am with her. A mother who I can't seem to be around for too long or I begin to wish I had actually succeeded in killing myself but that is before the guilt sinks in. Even my hatred for her kills me with guilt and sadness.

My parents ended things so horribly that I was put in the middle, as usual but my voice never matters either. Mother was too busy picking old scabs and father was too prideful to admit how sometimes she was right. Father cheated and cheated. Mother knew but never did anything. Mother liked to be impulsive and act like a teen because she never had a teenage experience nor childhood.

I pay for the consequences for my father's actions because he stole it. I am a reminder of what she could've been living when she had me.

As my mom drives I stare out the windows and see the trees pass by quickly.

*****

"Macy, wake up we are here and get your things." She smiled at me and I hold onto my sigh. I get off with my things and see two people ahead of us. An old guy who will play the role of step-dad and another one next to him, a lot younger playing the step-brother.

I didn't bother to greet them, I just went inside. "New life, once again." I mutter to myself and see my room straight ahead. I get in and shut myself in because it is what I do best.

It's like that moment when your family comes over and you just lock yourself in your room, it's what I'm going to do. It is best to stay out of sight when new families are always being formed.

My last step dad was an asshole and his kids were just like him, unwelcoming dicks who thought the world revolved around them and no one else.

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear someone banging on my door and groan. "Macy! Get out now!" My mom demanded

I opened my door and there she was standing with her hands to the side. "What?" I groaned. I already knew why she was here, not much of a surprise, it is the third time after all.

"Come, meet our new family." She grits her teeth as they make their way over to us.

How do I tell her I don't like playing house anymore? I am not ten where I act out my barbies to be the happy family I deeply wished for as a kid.