the ending you all wanted

edited April 15th, 2024

MACY

I'm running on the sidewalk, wishing I could just spawn inside the house already. I continue running as I fight the urge to catch my breath. My heartbeat is beating just as fast as I keep running.

I'm beyond desperate to find Ethan. I know I'm wrong by leaving Chris but I can't continue lying to myself. I can't hurt Chris like that either because while he hugs or kisses me, he isn't the one I think about being with. I know who I want. I didn't face so many obstacles with Ethan just to give up on us. I too, deserve my happy ending with someone whom I love, care about, and want to continue getting to know.

Continuing this lie that Chris is the one for me feels wrong. It has always felt wrong. I am exhausted trying to please everyone to support my choices in life. Why am I the one bending my back for others? While I try to confirm to everyone's standards I'm drowning in fucking misery because I'm not with him.

So, I don't look back at Chris's car driving into the distance and I continue to run for him, Ethan.

After what feels like an eternity, I reach the house where it all began. The house where I was forced to accommodate in. The place that introduced me to him and everything there was to him. I'm hit with nostalgia and painful flashbacks of spin the bottle while our parents fucked. A game where I revealed what was underneath my clothes and what was under his.

I knock on the door, with my heart in my hand, still dying from running.

Ethan opens the door, looking at me both confused and half-asleep, "What are you doing here?" He looks behind me, immediately I know who's he looking for. Everyone knows I'm leaving today with Chris, especially Ethan.

"I choose you, Ethan. I want to be with you," I repeated to him. He wipes his eyes in an attempt to fully wake himself up. The longer he remains quiet with no reaction to his face is scaring me. Am I doing the right thing? My heart is in his hands and I don't even know if he's going to break or take me back in.

We don't have to be a secret anymore, this is what we wanted all along. Does he still want that or has he realized this could be much more easier with someone else?

"You know we can't be together," he rejects me, causing my heart to ache. My heart shatters into a million pieces in his hand. I feel like I have been slapped in the face to wake myself up from the delusions I created for myself. No matter how much rejection I have taken from him it continues to sting.

I look at his eyes hoping he changes his mind. "Ethan," I choke out.

I keep my gaze on him and say, "We're adults. We deserve to be happy too along with everyone else. When are you finally going to put yourself first? No one is going to do it for us if we don't,"

My heart continues beating rapidly not knowing where this can go. Suddenly, I want to hide in a corner because I have no control over this. He has all the power to accept this or continue moving forward without me. There is so much wrong with what I'm confessing right now. But there is something about Ethan that drives me to him all the time. We both know it's so wrong but still continue to do it.

"Macy, what are you doing here?" my mom asked me, catching me by surprise just as Ethan did. I can read the confusion all over her face and yet again she also looks behind me. I know she's looking for Chris but he's long gone now all by his lonesome and a broken heart because I realized it too late. He must've known it before me. I don't blame him for holding onto me until his time was done.

"I decided not to move," I lied, continuing my eyes glued to Ethan. It's killing me not being able to read him. He isn't giving me anything to work with either.