Chapter 7 - The Bill

I got home for school that day and entered my vacant home. I saw a note on the fridge 'Went to the store. Will be back soon - Mom.' It was days like these I was relieved for. It made it easier to look through the mail. Sure enough there was a bill addressed to me which read:

                 Ms. Quinn Fabray

                 518 Dudley Road

                 Lima, OH 45805

I quickly opened it up glad my parents weren't home to see this. I began to read the bill which had the sonogram listed. My total was $685. 'How on earth am I going to pay $685 before my parents find out?' I thought to myself shivering at the thought of the ob/gyn calling my parents.

The door then opened as I hid the letter. My mom smiled brightly at me as she came in with the groceries. "Oh Quinnie there you are. How was school?" she smiled. "Good. I just have a lot of homework," I lied as she seemed to nod buying my story. "Okay sweetie. I know how important it is that you stay on the honor roll," my mom said as I nodded, carrying my backpack upstairs with me hoping somehow, someway things could get resolved.

I drove myself to school early that morning as I watched the Cheerios rehearse a number with the jump ropes. I couldn't help myself I was longing to be back on the Cheerios, besides I needed a distraction from trying to figure out how on Earth I was going to get the money to pay this bill before my parents found out.

"You shouldn't do this to yourself," I heard a voice say as I turned around to see Finn sitting beside me. "I need a good distraction," I said solemnly watching the routine still. "From what?" Finn asked as I sighed handing him the bill. "$685?" he said in disbelief. "That's how much a sonogram costs," I frowned "This is just the beginning. There's going to be more doctor's visits, vitamins, new clothes for when I explode."

"What are we going to do?"

"What are you going to do?" I shot back at Finn as he looked defeated.

"I'm looking for a job," he insisted "I mean, no one's hiring. I almost got in at Olive Garden but they said I'm too tall to be a busboy."

"Somewhere in that pea brain of yours is a man," I said "Access him and tell him to prove to me that I chose the right guy to have a baby with."

"I will," Finn said "I-I will find a job." I got up out of my seat. Finn had been right I shouldn't have been looking at what I could no longer have. "You can count on me, I swear," he said as he then seemed confused "Where are you going?"

"You're right," I said emotionally "It does hurt too much." I walked off trying to keep myself together. These mood swings had been a bitch to get used to. There had been times when I would all of a sudden go off on Finn for no good reason. There were other times where I cried over him getting me the wrong ice cream. I couldn't control it though, the hormones seemed to be making me crazy.

We headed to Glee practice as I continued to press Finn about finding a job. "What about target?" I suggested. "Tried. Not hiring," Finn frowned. "Another doctor bill came to my parents' house last night, Finn," I said upset "We're lucky that I'm clever and intercepted it. But we have to start paying these doctor's bills or they're going to go to a collection agency and then my parents are going to find out that I'm with child. Your child." Finn nodded seeming to understand how much I needed him at this point. I needed him to step up and help me pay for this bill. There wasn't much I could do. After all there weren't too many places a pregnant teenager could work other than possibly babysitting.

Mr. Schue then walked in interrupting our conversation as he handed out the sheet music for our new song. Explaining how the judges more looked for some show tunes during the competition. Kurt, especially seemed excited about the song but as always Mr. Schue gave the song to Rachel. Kurt seemed crushed. I couldn't help but feel bad for him. Rachel seemed to get most of the solos whenever we were rehearsing.