Chapter 12 - Change of Plans

After Mr. Schue took the fall for us with the mattress incident he had been searching for a new director to coach us and be able to take us to Sectionals. Most of the members of the New Directions seemed pretty nervous about who would fill in for Mr. Schue but me, not so much. Sure, Mr. Schue couldn't take us to Sectionals but that doesn't mean all the lessons he taught us throughout the year were worthless.

Early that day in rehearsal we were rehearsing as I accidently tripped. Finn and Puck were of course the first to react. Everyone seemed to look over concerned about me at first "Is it the baby? Is it coming?" Finn asked nervously. I couldn't help but give Finn a look. How could the baby be coming now? I wasn't due until April. "I think we're supposed to get hot towels," Puck said agreeing with Finn. I got pretty annoyed at both of them. "Would you both just shut up! There's, like, sweat on the floor. I slipped, okay? I'm fine!" I huffed as they helped me up. "Sorry...we were just concerned," Finn frowned. "And I appreciate that. Look you guys don't need to worry about me. I can handle myself," I assured them as they still seemed concerned. "Hey as long as you're sure," Puck shrugged. "Positive," I assured him as we went back to rehearsing.

The next day Berry came up to me at my locker which was a weird occurrence. The only time she had ever tried to talk to me before this was when she was trying to convince me to be co-captain with her. "Hey. I know it's not my place, but have you had your doctor run the full genetic test panel on your unborn child?" she asked as I looked confused. Why would she care if I did or not? "I only ask because my cousin, Leon, and his wife got pregnant, and then they found out that he was a carrier for Tay-Sachs," Rachel said. "What's that?" I asked. I had no idea what Tay-Sachs was at all. "It's a genetic disorder, pretty terrible from what I understand. If one of the parents is a carrier, then there's, like, a 50% chance that the child has it or something like that," Rachel said as I looked panicked. If something was wrong with my baby girl I wanted to know about it. "No, Leon's... Leon's baby was fine. It was still pretty scary, though," Rachel assured me. "My doctor never mentioned that," I said shaking my head. "You know... I'm such an idiot. They would only run the test if one of the parents was Jewish. Yeah, only Jews carry the gene," Rachel said. "Oh," I said a little confused. Was there even a such thing as Tay-Sachs? If there was I couldn't risk my daughter having it. "Okay, I'll see you in rehearsal," Rachel grinned as she walked off to class.

I approached Puck as soon as I entered the choir room that day. I knew I had to do something to make sure the baby was okay. "Hey is something up?" Puck asked as I sighed "You have to take me to go get those Jewish baby tests," I said whispering to him. Puck narrowed his eyes at me "Why? Is that even a real thing?" "Because, if something is wrong with the baby, Terri Schuester isn't going to take it. And I can't ask Finn. He'll know something's up," I muttered to Puck. "Does this have to happen tonight? Because I have my fight club," Puck said as I rolled my eyes at him. He could be so insensitive sometimes. Did he not know how important it was that my baby, our baby was okay? My thoughts were interrupted as Mr. Schue brought in our new advisor, Miss Pillsbury.

I didn't feel too bad about having Miss Pillsbury as our advisor she was always kind and did try to help Finn and I out when we went to her for help, not that the advice worked but at least she tried. "What's important is that she cares about you guys every bit as much as I do," Mr. Schue assured us when a few of the New Directions questioned why she was there if she didn't know much about music. "Now... I-I don't know what the future holds for me, and for us, but I know, Saturday, you're going to make me proud. You guys are going to be great. So... Good-bye for now," Mr. Schue said solemnly. "Wait. What about our setlist?" Mercedes asked. "I... I can't help you with that. You've got to figure that out for yourselves," Mr. Schue said as he left the choir room for what could be his final time.