Chapter 61 - Quinn takes Nationals

Author's Note: Hey everyone this chapter will cover 'Props' and 'Nationals'. Instead of Rachel having the solo since she has a huge solo in 'Paradise By the Dashboard Light' I decided in this fic to give Quinn a solo at Nationals to 'What a Feeling'. The version I'm using is by Drew Ryn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2fB3AP_7TA . If you want to listen to it while you read the chapter please do. I think it would've been a gorgeous choice for Quinn to have performed as a solo.  I hope you enjoy this chapter.

The next week was all about preparing for Nationals. Coach Sylvester seemed to have it in her mind that we needed props to really sell ourselves to the judges especially since Vocal Adrenaline had Unique. We were practicing our choreography for our newest number "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" but the props that Coach Sylvester had us using in a welding mask and had some of the guys welding to make sparks. We couldn't get the choreography down which had Coach Sylvester completely unhappy with us. "Stop! Stop," she called out at us as we stopped the routine. "This is an unmitigated disaster. You should be ashamed of yourselves," Coach Sylvester said shaking her head "Gentlemen, I asked for a cascade of sparks timed to the rhythm." "I can't see through this helmet," Mike frowned. "I took mine off. Metal sparks in your face is how you get freckles," Brittany shrugged. "Is this even legal?" Blaine asked confused. "Yeah, shouldn't we be in some sort of grinding union?" Sam asked. "Wanky," Santana smirked.

"Sue, they're right. They can't pick up advanced choreography when they're weighed down by helmets and metal grinders," Mr. Schue agreed. "Grind, grind, pivot, kick, pivot, spin, flip, split. What's complicated about that?" Coach Sylvester asked. "These props were supposed to add to the routine, not be the routine," Mr. Schue said shaking his head. "Well, maybe you're right, William. Maybe basic sheet metal work is just too much for your 12th place choir," Coach Sylvester said annoyed as she turned to Kurt "Porcelain, thoughts?" "I'm not doing a drag number," Kurt said in a definite tone. "Do you seriously think we need a guy in drag to win?" Puck asked as Mr. Schue and Sue spoke at the same time. "No." "Yes." "Glee Club. You're dismissed," Coach Sylvester said as we all left our rehearsal feeling more confused than ever before. We needed to figure out what could set us apart and fast.

"Quinn, can I talk to you for a minute?" Mr. Schue asked as I nodded as I followed him into the choir room. "I think I speak for us all when I say how proud we are of everything you've accomplished," Mr. Schue smiled. "Thanks Mr. Schue," I grinned a bit as Shelby then joined him. "Which is why we want to offer you a solo for the nationals competition," Shelby said. "Me? A solo?" I said shocked. "You've earned it Quinn. After everything you've fought through to get to this point," Mr. Schue smiled as Shelby nodded. "We actually came up with the perfect song for you to perform," Shelby grinned as she handed me the sheet music to a slowed down version of "Flashdance...What a Feeling". "There is something so beautiful about taking a song that is such a big number and stripping it down so simply," Shelby said as I smiled. "I think it's perfect," I grinned as I began to rehearse the song. With the help of Mr. Schue and Miss Corcoran I knew I would be ready for Nationals.

Since Prom, Puck had been avoiding me which hurt. He had it so convinced in his mind that he wasn't good enough for me. He couldn't be more wrong. I cared so much for him that seeing him hurting pained me. I looked back at him so many times throughout our rehearsals wishing I could find the right words to say to him but there was nothing that came to mind.

Puck was missing at the next rehearsal which worried me. Mr. Schue and Coach Sylvester were in another argument once again about choreography when Puck walked in wearing a dress and a wig. "Oh my God. You've got to be kidding me," I said as Puck shrugged. "I am strangely turned on right now," Santana smirked. "Please only address me by my stage name Lola," Puck said. "Puckerman, I respect your commitment to winning, but without a doubt, you are the ugliest woman I have ever seen. For a second there, I thought you were Beiste's sister," Coach Sylvester said. "It's not about being pretty. It's about someone in here having the balls to do what he has to do to put us over the top," Puck said. "Well, you know, if this is gonna work, you're gonna have to shave off all of your body hair," Coach Sylvester told Puck who looked somewhat uncomfortable with that idea. "Enough! Sue, look, I really appreciate all the help you've been giving us but I am done with all this props madness. Puck, go change," Mr. Schue told Puck seriously as he got back into his regular clothes.