Chapter 49 - Mash-Off

Author's Note: Hey everyone I was able to post a double update today due to the fact that Wattpad was down yesterday. The second chapter I wrote combines parts of 'Mash-Off', 'I Kissed a Girl', and 'Hold on to Sixteen'. I thought what I did at the end of this chapter was what made the most sense. The New Directions will have another showchoir that they will face off against. I hope you guys enjoy this update :D Let me know what you think :)

The next week in Glee Club started off interestingly enough when Mr. Schue and Miss Corcoran had called us all into the auditorium for what the New Directions thought was a meeting for us and the Troubletones thought Shelby had called them for a meeting. "What are you doing here?" Rachel asked annoyed. "Shelby told us she had something to show us. What are you doing here?" Mercedes asked confused.

"Mr. Schue said the same thing," Finn said confused as well. "Let me guess, he wants to combine choirs for Sectionals. Well, it's not gonna happen. The Troubletones are here to stay," Santana snarked at us "So why don't you shuffle your busted choir off our stage." "Look, you guys, we can compete without being enemies. All right? We don't have to get vicious," Finn said. "Oh, I think we do, Soft Serve," Santana snarked. "See the Troubletones are three F's fierce, femme, phenomenal," Santana smirked as she then snarked to the Troubletones "Oh, and, guys, hurry up, go get some moist towels. We have to keep Finn wet before we can roll him back in the sea." "Okay, you know what, Santana, Finn is in great shape, and your meanness only highlights your own personal insecurities," Rachel shot back at Santana. "And, Rachel, your mustache is thicker than a Middle Eastern dictator's," Santana smirked. Rachel was just about to fire back at her when we were interrupted by the sound of music playing as Mr. Schue and Miss Corcoran walked out onstage with their mashup of 'Yoü and I' by Lady Gaga and 'You and I' by Eddie Rabbit and the Crystal Gayle

Shelby started off the song as Mr. Schue joined in with her. Their voices went together and their performance was beautiful. I had only heard the Lady Gaga song but it paired so well with the Eddie Rabbit song it just was so breathtaking. We all cheered after Shelby and Mr. Schue finished their song. "Mr. Schue, Shelby, I think we can all admit that that was weirdly amazing.But what exactly was the point?" Rachel asked. "That sometimes bringing together two conflicting things can create something totally unexpected," Mr. Schue said looking back between the Glee Clubs. "We're not combining Glee Clubs, Mr. Schue," Mercedes said. "That's not what I'm talking about. Shelby and I agree that with Sectionals coming up for both of us, it's time we all got serious with some friendly competition," Mr. Schue said. "Each group's going to put together their own mash-up to perform head-to-head," Shelby said. "For the first annual McKinley High," Mr. Schue said. "Mash-Off," Mr. Schue and Shelby said as we all cheered. This competition was definitely going to be an interesting one for us. We each had to come up with a good mashup to compete against each other. I simply thought Mr. Schue and Shelby had the perfect idea.

"Okay, guys," Mr. Schue said as he clapped his hands as he entered the choir room "We have our work cut out for us this week with this mash-off and The Trouble Tones have a lot of powerful voices, so song selection is key here. Any suggestions?" "What about The Clash?" Artie asked. "Uh, The Police?" Blaine asked. "REM!" Mike said enthusiastically. "No. Spice Girls," Kurt suggested. "Jonas Brothers," Puck suggested. "Guys, no, no, we can't use any of those bands. The only thing they have in common is that they all broke up, and right now the New Directions need to feel united," Finn said shaking his head. "I like what you're saying, Finn. It's not just about the music, but where it comes from," Mr. Schue nodded. "Who do you think we should use?" Tina asked.

"How about this? People think Hall and Oates are famous for their cool, puffy hair and that dude's banging 'stache," Finn said as he got up in front of the choir room. "Awesome," Mr. Schue smiled. "But also they're awesome for staying together over the long haul," Finn grinned. "Just like us, despite all their differences," Rachel smiled. "I think we should give the solo to the new guy. Get him prepared for what's in store when the stakes get high. Rory, I think you'll do a good job," Finn grinned. "Thanks, Finn, but I don't think I'm ready for that honor just yet," Rory said shaking his head. "Come on. You're totally ready, Rory. You'll kill it. We'll all help you," Blaine smiled "It's a great idea, Finn." "Thanks," Finn grinned as the bell rang as we left the choir room. We had come up with what band we wanted to do. All we had to do was find the songs to perform.