Chapter 43 - Junior Prom

It was the night so many of us have waited for Junior Prom and it was coming up this week. I could not have been more excited. I was getting myself ready for the night. I had already found the perfect dress, an appointment at the salon to get my hair done perfect for the occasion, and of course a date with Finn. Of course Finn and I were going to the prom as friends but after Puck and I had broken up last week I was open to us becoming more. Sure, Finn was more like a brother to me but lately I hadn't been feeling loved, especially since Puck had quickly gotten back together with Lauren Zizes. It almost felt like a slap in the face. Here I was still single yet I was the one who broke up with him. It hardly seemed fair.

Lauren, Brittany, and Santana were talking while they entered the choir room. "I've been to Ann Taylor Loft, Filene's Basement, and, like, six Forever 21s and I can not find a dress that fits. I'm gonna be forced to make my own dress for prom," Lauren frowned as she got to her seat. "Don't. You'll seem poor," Brittany said taking her seat. "You're up for Queen, you can't make your own prom dress. Prom is like our Oscars. It's seriously, like, the most important night of our lives," Santana agreed.

"What about getting married?" Lauren asked. "Oh, you can get married as many times as you want. You only have one shot at your Junior Prom," I said defensively. "What are you guys talking about?" Mercedes asked. "Prom dresses," Lauren said. "Thank God I don't have to worry about that. I'm not going," Mercedes said. "Why not?" Kurt asked. "'Cause nobody's asked me," Mercedes shrugged as the bell rang.

Mr. Schue then wrote 'PROM' on the board. "Alright, guys – prom," Mr. Schue said. "Please tell me we're not doing songs about prom," Sam frowned. "Nope – we are the prom. Figgins has asked us to perform," Mr. Schue smiled. "Let's do Run Joey Run," Rachel said enthusiastically as we all gave her a look. 'Run Joey Run' had to be one of the worst numbers that was done. Not to mention how much it tore things apart between Puck and I when he had performed it with her.

"Now, I know this isn't ideal with Nationals coming up, but we really don't have a choice. And, we could really use the money. But I know that prom is a special rite of passage. I want to make sure that all of you guys get a chance to enjoy the dance, too. So we're gonna stag at the performances so that each and every one of you has a lot of time to dance with your dates," Mr. Schue smiled. "Excuse me," Mercedes said upset as she left the choir room. "Is she okay?" Mr. Schue asked. "Mercedes doesn't have a date for prom," I said. "So? I don't have a date. I'm just going to dance. And then all of your dates are gonna ignore you and come dance with me, so...your dates are really my dates," Brittany grinned. "I'm gonna go talk to Mercedes," Kurt said. "No, let me," Rachel said as she exited the choir room to talk to Mercedes.

Rachel had talked to Mercedes and it seemed like all was well between them. Mercedes, Rachel, and Sam were going to prom together which I was glad about. Sam deserved to go with someone. I would've offered to take him had Finn and I not been running for Prom King and Queen together.

That Saturday I got ready for the prom. This was it. Junior prom the one thing I had been looking forward to since I started high school. It felt so...different now. Sure, Finn and I were going together but we were no longer dating. I wasn't the head cheerleader anymore. People didn't look up to me like they used to. I couldn't help but feel slightly terrified. Winning Prom Queen would mean so much to me. It wasn't because it was a status symbol but for me it was to show that I had made a huge comeback from last year.

Just then my mom called me "Quinnie, your date is here," she said as I finished fixing myself up. I then began to walk down the stairs. "Let me go get my camera," my mom said as she rushed off. "You look great," I grinned. "Quinn, you look so beautiful," Finn grinned at me as I smiled back at him. Hearing him say those words somehow just made me feel like the girl who could have it all again. "I got you a wrist corsage," Finn said as he opened a box which had a gardenia with a green ribbon. He handed it to me. "It matches my eyes," I smiled a bit as I put the corsage on. "I know," Finn said.