Chapter 21 - Beth

The next week at school Principal Figgins told Tina that she couldn't dress in her usual goth style. Apparently he thought vampires were real which was kind of hilarious. We were all pretty shocked when Tina walked in to class dressed in a grey sweatshirt and jeans. We all were suggesting looks for Tina trying to help her come up with a new look that would be approved by Principal Figgins. . "Look, I appreciate it, guys, but it just isn't me. I know who I am, and I'm not allowed to show it. It's like communism," Tina frowned as Rachel walked in interrupting us.

"Guys, we have a serious problem. I've been doing some deep background on Vocal Adrenaline," Rachel frowned. "Isn't that against the rules?" Artie asked. "No, not at all or probably. Whatever. Anyway, what I figured out, I rooted through the Dumpsters behind the Carmel auditorium and I found 18 empty boxes of Christmas lights," Rachel said. "Oh, no," Tina frowned. "Which led me to Joelle Fabrics. I asked them about red Chantilly lace, and they were sold out!" Rachel exclaimed. "Oh, sweet Jesus," Mercedes frowned. "Oh, my," Kurt shaking her head. "What?" Mr. Schuester asked. "They're doing Gaga," Kurt said shocked. That's it. It's over," Mercedes said. "Exactly! We should have guessed it," Rachel said. "They're going for full-out theatricality. They know it's the easiest way to beat us.Damn them!" Kurt frowned.

"What's up with this Gaga dude? He just, like, dresses weird, right? Like Bowie?" Puck asked. "Lady Gaga is a woman! She's only the biggest pop act to come along in decades. She's boundary-pushing. The most theatrical performer of our generation. She changes her look faster than Britt changes sexual partners," Adam said. "That's true," Brittany nodded. "It makes sense that Vocal Adrenaline would pay homage. It's a brilliant move. She's a perfect fit for them," Artie frowned.

"Now, hold on a second. We might be able to kill two birds with one stone here. We can help Tina find a new look and find a competitive number for regionals. This week, your assignment: Gaga," Mr. Schuester said as us girls beamed while the boys looked less than thrilled besides Kurt. I, for one was looking forward to performing some Lady Gaga. Her songs were amazing and she was the perfect fit for our club. The bell rang as I grabbed my things. Mercedes and I began leaving the choir room together when we were stopped by Berry.

"Guys!" Rachel said as we turned around "Look I know we're not exactly friends but we need to know what we're in for with Vocal Adrenaline. I propose we go to their rehearsal." "Wouldn't we get in trouble for that?" I asked pointedly. "No...I mean we've done it before or did you forget our venture with Dakota Stanley?" Rachel said. "She has a point," Mercedes said. "Look don't you guys want to get the leg up against them?" Rachel asked. Mercedes and I looked at each other and nodded. We knew Rachel was right. "Okay...we're in," Mercedes said. "Great! Meet me after school tomorrow at Carmel High," Rachel said as she walked off happy. "What have we gotten ourselves into?" I laughed to Mercedes who shrugged. "Come on. We've got ourselves a team to spy on," Mercedes smiled as we headed home for the afternoon.

The next day after school we met up with Rachel at Carmel High, sneaking into Vocal Adrenaline's rehearsal. We could hear their director choreographing them as we entered. "You think they can see us?" Mercedes asked. "If they catch us, are we gonna have to go to jail?" I whispered. "Stealing their ideas is not a crime," Rachel whispered as we took our seats to watch what Vocal Adrenaline had up their sleeves. "Okay, okay, okay. It's just Enough. You guys aren't getting it. You're letting the costumes do all the work. Theatricality isn't about crazy outfits. It's not enough to douse yourselves with gasoline. You have to light yourselves on fire to make it work!" Their director explained to Vocal Adrenaline. "God, she's good," Rachel said in awe. "Being theatrical doesn't mean you have to be a nuclear explosion. It can be like a quiet storm. You just have to radiate emotion, express what's deep inside you. That's what theatricality is truly about. Do I have to demonstrate? "Funny Girl." E-flat," The director said as she got ready to perform. "Exactly what I would have done. Barbra. I could do it in my sleep," Rachel whispered.