Three: Reason

The coach walked up to Oikawa and raised his eyebrow as he glanced at the boy's injury.

"It's probably just a displacement", he said and turned his head to you. "Take him to the infirmary".

You quickly nodded and stood up without turning your face to the boy who followed you.

Fear was hueing your eyes as you recalled the image of blood flowing from Oikawa's hand, but you remained silent. Even though you wanted to ask him how he was feeling and thank him for saving you, the words stuck in your throat. You could guess that you were still unable to talk to him like you did before.

You were walking in silence until you arrived at the office.

You knocked shyly, but as nobody responded, you slowly opened the door.

The room was empty, so you just walked in and started searching for the first aid kit. When you finally found it, it was placed at the top shelf and even though you tiptoed, you couldn't reach for it. You were ready to jump, when a muscular arm appeared above you and took the kit.

"Thank you", you mumbled under your breath and turned towards Oikawa who handed you the box.

He smiled at you faintly and sat on the bed.

"Give me your hand", you said, avoiding the boy's inquiring look.

As you were completing the procedure of disinfection, Oikawa's voice woke you up from the reverie.

"[Name], please, let me explain", he begged.

You peeked at him and sighed.

There was nowhere to run away.

"Why do you want to explain it to me so much?", you replied, locking your eyes on the ground.

"Because you're important to me!", Oikawa said breezily.

You widened your eyes and felt a painful sting on your heart.

"You shouldn't say such things after rejecting me", you mumbled under your breath. "And I have no idea why you'd lie to me...", you added with sorrow hueing your voice.

"But I didn't lie to you!", the boy gainsaid. "I don't have a girlfriend", he added, lowering his voice.

"Then what was that?", you asked with disbelief.

"I bet you will hate me after what you will hear", Oikawa started, all the confidence leaving him.

"I'd like to, but it's impossible", you replied confidently.

There was no chance for you to hate the boy you've liked for such a long time.

Oikawa gulped.

"Volleyball is the most important to me, but still... I'm a guy and I need to satisfy myself", he coughed up, moving nervously.

You raised an eyebrow, not getting what the boy meant.

Oikawa peeked at you and whined innerly, seeing your confusion. You were so innocent it made everything even more embarrassing.

"Many girls confess to me, but I always reject them", he continued. "I don't want to concentrate on anything else than volleyball, but I also need to fuflil my... well, my gut instincts, let's call it. That's why I use those girls and kiss them. It kind of... gives me a relief?", he explained and lowered his head, ready to receive your words of disgust and hatred.

You widened your eyes as a small blush grew on your cheeks. So he kissed girls to fulfil his needs? Making out was for him nothing but a way to allay his gut instincts? It shocked you, but at the same time you felt relieved; he didn't like anyone.

"[Name]? I see you're groosed out", Oikawa pouted and a wave of anxiety overflew him.

So it really is the end. She hates me, he thought and clenched his fists.

"We should go", you said, finishing bandaging. You didn't know what to say; you needed more time to think about it. "Thank you for saving me from the ball".

Your fringe was covering your eyes. You walked away with a quick step.

Oikawa stayed a little longer, gaping at you until you disappeared.

He hid his face in his hands, cursing at himself innerly.

He didn't want it to end like that.

The rest of the practice was rather awkward. Oikawa couldn't concentrate on the game and he could see how you avoided his look.

I guess I will have to get used to it, he thought, but still, the vision of losing you was painful for him.

After all, you were his friend.

The boy sighed. Maybe if you would stop talking to him, it would be easier for you? Maybe you wouldn't get hurt because of your unrequited feelings?

If so, he shouldn't insist on staying friends.

That's what he thought, but your words he heard the next day before the morning practice, ruined everything.

"Oikawa-san, please, use me instead".