Eighteen: Unnecessary

"Our team is good. We have a powerful ace and a libero from Chidoriyama. Oh, and do you remember this short, mandarin guy I told you about? He's also there! He's so annoying, but his jumps are really amazing, and-", Kageyama paused, as he looked at you from the side. "[Name]-san, are you sure you're alright?", he asked worryingly.

His quiestion woke you up from the reverie. You looked back at him with apologising expression on your face.

"I'm sorry, Kageyama-kun, I pondered", you smiled to him awry.

"Sorry, I interrupted you earlier, right? You had some plans with Oikawa-san?", the boy replied.

You locked your eyes on the ground, feeling your heart clench at the boy's name.

"Nevermind. You heard what he said", you answered faintly.

Silence followed and was soon broken by Kageyama.

"[Name]-san, what's between you and Oikawa-san?", he asked, some kind of anxiety huing his voice.

You didn't look up at the boy. If he saw your face right now, he would immediately realise that something between you and Oikawa was wrong. He might even guess your feelings towards the chocolate haired boy. Even Kageyama would get a hunch from your painful expression.

You smiled to make your voice sound convincing.

"Nothing special. We were about to go grab some snack".

Kageyama raised his eyebrow, but he didn't inquire any further.

"But you're sad because of him, aren't you?", he said instead.

"No, it's not because of him. It's...", you paused, looking for some suitable excuse. "I got a bad mark from Maths", you finished, hoping for this pretext to satisfy your friend. You didn't want to talk about Oikawa with him. You knew how the two boys disliked each other.

Kageyama frowned. He didn't really believe in what you said, but the fact that you made excuses meant that you didn't want to tell him what was the problem, so he decided to keep quiet. Even though Kageyama was usually goofy about everything except volleyball, he knew you so good it was hard for you to fool him. You were going to the same primary school, after all.

"I guess we should get going before it gets dark", the boy said. "I'll walk you to the station, okay?"

"Yes", you replied with a light smile, not hiding your relief. You needed some time alone right now.

As you reached the station, you said goodbye to Kageyama, and you were about to climb up the stairs when his voice stopped you.

"[Name]-san, let's meet soon, when your mood is better, okay?"

You turned to the boy and smiled.

"Yes, Kageyama-kun!", you waved to him and ran upstairs, leaving him behind.

You walked up to the platform and your pace was progressively slowing down, the smile disappeared from your face.

I don't need you everyday, you could hear Oikawa's voice clearly echoing through your mind.

You sat down on a bench and hid your face in your hands.

The platform was nearly empty, just a few people were wandering around, waiting for their trains to come.

You knew that. You knew that Oikawa didn't need you and it hurt you. Your every kiss, no matter how passionate, was only reminding you of it, and slowly you were losing hope for Oikawa to ever fall in love with you.

Even though making out with the boy created a good illussion of being the only one for him, you knew that if you broke the agreement, you would be immediately substituted by another girl.

But you wanted more. You wanted Oikawa.

You felt your eyes watering.

God, you never felt so helpless. You could do nothing in the face of your own crippling feelings.

A light tap on your shoulder woke you up from the reverie.