Thirty Six: Over

"Okay", Oikawa replied, locking his eyes on the ground.

He tried to remain cool but in reality his heart was itching painfully. He wanted to grab your hand and take back everything he said, but as soon as he lifted his head, he saw your awry smile located on his cofused face.

No, it would be better for her to stay this way, he thought to himself.

For once, he didn't want to act selfishly.

"Good morning, Oikawa-san, [Name]-san", Kindaichi's voice broke off the awkward silence which had filled the air between you and Oikawa.

The two of you quickly turned your heads towards the first year boy who was coming your way together with a bunch of other players from the team. At the very end of the group was walking Iwaizumi, his eyes observing closely the two of you.

"Well, I should go change", you faked a smile and quickly disappeared round the corner, thankful to your teammates for their timing. It was still hard for you to be alone with Oikawa.

As soon as you arrived at the girls' changing room, you leaned on the wall and started taking fast, nervous breaths. You felt a drip of sweat flowing next to your temple and as you moved your hand on your heart you felt it beating crazily. You lowered your head and hid your face in your hands. Lacking energy, you slumped on the floor and cursed under your breath.

Why was giving up so hard?

The boys' changing room was filled with silence. One question was going through the minds of Oikawa's teammates, but there seemed to be nobody who had enough courage to ask their captain about it straigtforwardly. Only after some time Yahaba's voice broke the silence.

"Oikawa-san, um...", he started and everybody's heads turned towards him. "Are you and [Name]-san together?"

This time, it was Oikawa on whom the boys' eyes locked.

The boy blenched lightly, but he didn't look up at his teammates. He furrowed his eyebrows, feeling the warmth flowing on his cheeks. It took him some time to put on one of his unnaturally cheerful faces and straighten up to face the boys awaiting the answer.

"We're not", he chuckled. "We're just friends".

"I see, I thought something between you must have happened since [Name]-san seems to be really sad recently", Yahaba replied with worried voice.

Oikawa's face became grimmer. He looked down and turned towards his locker.

"It will be okay from now on", he said and left the room, leaving the confused boys behind.