Thirty: Misunderstanding

It was a pity that you had to be passing by the boy's changing room at this exact moment.

You felt your throat clench, leaving you speechless. You wanted to run away before the tears would start flowing from your eyes, but your legs didn't move. All you could do was stand there, perplexed, and gaze into these beautiful hazelnut eyes of Oikawa, which were right now filled with surprise and anxiety.

Iwaizumi was barely holding in the urge to intervene. He could see from your face that your heart was just being shattered once again and it was painful to even watch it. But the only person who should do something at this moment was Oikawa. The problem was that he also seemed to have lost his voice.

"[Name]... chan...", he finally spoke up.

You shivered, and the tears formed in your eyes. You lowered you head so that the fringe would cover your face.

"Please... Stop it", you coughed up, trying to hide the chills that were flowing through your body.

Iwaizumi furrowed his eyebrows. He had to really refrain himself from stepping in.

"[Name], it's not-", Oikawa took a step forward but you quickly reacted with backing away.

"I knew this", you cut the boy off, swallowing the tears. "I knew you've never thought of me seriously. That's why...", you took another shaky step back and lifted your head. Your sight was blurry, but you could see Oikawa's confused face very well. "That's why I feel so stupid for hoping that you would change your mind someday", your voice was getting progressively quieter. The last words resembled a breaking whisper.

Unable to withstand more pressure, you ran away, leaving the boys behind.

It took Oikawa a while to realise what happened. He didn't think much before running out from the changing room.

He crossed the yard in front of the gymnasium and headed towards the school's gates where he expected you to be. The closer to the place he was getting, the clearer he could see the two silhouettes standing at the school's exit. When he was able to recognise them, Oikawa stopped running. The person whose back was turned towards him was you. You were being hugged by a high, black haired boy in sports uniform. Oikawa was looking at the two of you with widely opened eyes. He was still processing the view when his friend's voice woke him up from his thoughts.

"Oh, so Kageyama came", Iwaizumi said, walking up to the boy.

Oikawa sent him a pissed glare and started walking towards the second gates on the other side of the school.

For a moment, Iwaizumi was following him without a word, but soon he broke the silence.

"I see, so that's why you broke the agreement", he said.

Oikawa stopped walking and turned to his friend with questioning look on his face.

"What?", he snapped.

"You're simply jealous, aren't you?", Iwaizumi explained.

For a moment, Oikawa's eyes widened, but he soon regained control over his expressions.

"Why would I be?", he murmured under his breath and looked on the ground. The next thing he saw was Iwaizumi making quick steps towards him. His friend grabbed the collar of his jacket and shook him forcefully.

"Stop playing such a jerk!", he shouted, visibly annoyed by Oikawa's behaviour.

Oikawa grabbed his friend's hands, trying to free himself from Iwaizumi's grip.

"Let me go!", he shouted back.

"Why can't you admit you like her?!", Iwaizumi didn't listen.

"Because I don't!", Oikawa replied.

"You're lying!", his friend groaned.

"And if so?!", Oikawa outshouted him.

Silence followed. Iwaizumi widened his eyes and slowly let go of the boy's collar.

"So you admit you like her?", he asked, this time his voice was calm.

Oikawa pouted and turned his head on the side.

"Even if I did, it wouldn't matter", he mumbled.

Iwaizumi raised his eyebrow.

"What do you mean?", he inquired.

"I don't want to focus on anything except for volleyball", Oikawa explained.

"You already do", Iwaizumi said.

"That's why I want to stop it", the boy replied.

"You can't run away from your feelings", his friend's voice was serious.

"I won't know if I don't try", Oikawa ignored his friend's warning.

"You're just a coward", Iwaizumi summed up.