Nineteen: Confusion

You looked up to see Iwaizumi with a worried expression huing his face.

As soon as you remembered that your eyes were still watering and your cheeks were probably glowing red, you hid your face in your hands and lowered your head. But it was too late - the boy already saw your painful expression, and honestly, he didn't even have to see it to know that you were crying. Your shaking body and quiet sobs could easily tell it.

Iwaizumi quickly sat beside you.

"[Name], what happened?", he asked warily.

You gritted your teeth, trying to stop the tears from flowing.

"It's nothing, really, it's-", you spit out on one breath, barely keeping your voice from shaking. But in the middle of the sentence you throat clenched and you couldn't let out a word.

"Weren't you supposed to be with Oikawa?", your friend asked after a moment of silence.

You froze, hearing the boy's name. A second wave of sorrow was about to overflow you, but you somehow managed to stop it. You inhaled deeply, and only when you were sure that you calmed down, you uncovered your face and wiped down the remains of the tears from your warm cheeks.

"I was, but Kageyama-kun appeared out of the blue", you replied quietly, your voice a little bit hoarse because of the crying, "and asked me if I had some free time. And just when I was about to say that I already had plans, Oikawa-san said that I could go", here, a little hesitation could be heard, "and that he doesn't... need me everyday", your last words were on the verge of breaking.

You pouted but you somehow managed to stay cool as opposed to Iwaizumi, who only now experienced a sudden wave of anger. But, for your sake, he decided to hide his irritation about Oikawa.

This idiot, he thought to himself and clenched his fists, feeling an irresistible need to punch his friend straight into his damn pretty face.

"I'm sure he didn't really mean it", the boy smiled to you awry, trying to sound convincing. But your face was still gloomy.

"No, it's not like I'm surprised or angry at him", you moved your eyes on the ground. "I knew that he doesn't need me from the very beggining of the agreement. But knowing this, and hearing this from him are two different things", you clenched your teeth to keep from bursting into tears once again. "And the reason I feel this way right now is only because, probably, I still held the faintest hope for him to like me. What he did was he only reminded me of the reality", you said, smiling lightly to the ground.

After all, you had nothing else to do but to laugh at your naivety.

Iwaizumi was glancing at you inquiringly. He wanted to tell you that all of what you said wasn't true, that even Oikawa didn't think like that, but he knew that he wasn't the right person to say it. Instead, he checked if you already calmed down, and as he assured himself about it, he stood up.

"Sorry, [Name], I forgot about something from school", he said, ready to go, but your voice stopped him.

"Hajime, please, don't tell Oikawa about my reaction", you asked.

Iwaizumi sighed.

"Okay", he replied and disappeared round the corner.

Oikawa was lying on his bed, staring dimly at the ceiling with his hands resting on his forehead. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get rid of the annoying memory of Kageyama talking with you. Why did he get so angry back there? Of course, the face of his kouhai always made him irritated, but this time there was something more to this. At first he was just discontent to see Kageyama at the gates of the school, but this uneasy feeling grew immediately when you started talking with the boy. Only then did Oikawa realise how close to Kageyama you were. He knew that you were going to the same primary school and that you still had contact with each other, but knowing this and seeing you two chatting freely were two different things.

Why did it even bother him? He didn't know. He had no idea what was this feeling clutching in his chest. It wasn't exactly pain - it was rather something connected to annoyance mixed with restlessness and a little bit of anxiety. He wasn't sure what it meant, but one thing was certain - he didn't like it.