Thirty Eight: Unsure

"[Name]-san, tomorrow there is a festival nearby", Kageyama said, peeking at you shyly from the corner of his eye.

You seemed to have just woken up from you thoughts. You raised your head and looked at the black haired boy walking beside you, the pensive expression slowly vanishing from your face.

"Oh, yeah, I guess", you replied uncertainly.

Kageyama hesitated. After getting his act together, he was able to ask.

"Would you like to go there with me?"

His face became a blushing mess before you could even process what he just said. When you realised that the boy's invitation was something more than a friendly proposition, you widened your eyes in surprise. You knew that Kageyama liked you, but you didn't expect him to make a move this early. You opened your mouth to reply, but the boy was faster.

"Well, I guess it's too soon for you, isn't it? After all you still like Oikawa-san and it will probab-", he spit out on one breath, not hiding his lack of confidence.

You cut him off with a smile.

"I will go", you replied shortly but decisively. "I gave him up", you added, this time a little bit less confidently.

The boy quickly turned his head towards you, surprise filling his eyes. It seemed that he didn't really believe that you would agree this easily. He could guess that you probably still didn't give up on Oikawa, but for this moment he decided to just be happy that you agreed.

Oikawa pushed the ball across the net powerfully. Once again, it hit the floor just out of the court line. The gymnasium was already filled with loads of missed balls but the boy didn't seem to be planning on stopping anytime soon. He cursed under his breath and walked up to the trolley to take out another ball. Just when he was about to grab a hold of it, he felt a sudden hit on his head.

"This hurts!", he turned around to face Iwaizumi bouncing the ball in his hands.

"Get your ass out of here, we have to lock this place", he announced.

"I will lock it, you can go ahead", Oikawa replied and started preparing for another serve.

"You'll sprain something if you don't stop overworking yourself", his friend insisted.

Oikawa ignored the comment and pushed the ball. It hit the floor far beyond the court line.

Iwaizumi chuckled.

"What a terrible serve", he said.

His friend turned to him, annoyed.

"It's because you are distracting me", he snapped.

"Is it?", Iwaizumi doubted. "And what about the previous serves?"

Oikawa widened his eyes and lowered his head.

"It's-", he strated but his friend cut him off.

"Is it that your talk with [Name] is still burdening you?", he asked, but it sounded more like a statement rather than a question. As no answer came, he continued talking. "It's not only about today, your game started being sloppy some time ago, you know?"

Oikawa felt a wave of cold sweat overflowing him. He knew that, yet hearing it from Iwaizumi seemed to wash away all the doubts. He let his emotions influence his game once again. And, once again, it was caused by the feelings he had for you.

"It will soon get better", he said, but it was more like a wish he wanted to believe in.