Chapter 1 - That's why I do it

I lay down down on the miniature merry-go-round in the park, as I usually do when it gets dark. I spin in circles looking into the stars and tears roll down my cheeks. I slam my hand against the metal of the frame.

"Fuck," I yelp. I put my cold hand against my forehead. "Why are you such a dickhead?" I hit my hand against the metal again. "What the fuck is wrong with me‽" I yell.

I sniff in the air, the faint smell of tobacco wafts up my nose. I sit up straight and try to look around, but my vision goes blurry from spinning. I breathe in the cigarette stench again. I close my eyes and breathe through my mouth to focus my conscious. I open my eyes to see a boy on a swing holding a cigarette between his index and middle finger. He holds it out away from his face. A puff of smoke floats above him. Turning his head to the side, he brings the cigarette to his mouth, allowing me to see his blump lips. He breathes it in once again. I can feel myself transfixed on his lips.

I stand up and begin to walk towards this fascinating man. He turns his head back to look at the forest in front of him. I quickly hide behind a tree. I look at him as he smiles.

"You know," he says still looking out the the forest. "Most people ask if they want one." Turns to face me holding his cigarette out in my direction.

"Oh," I says sheepishly, my cheeks now flushed. "No thank you."

"Really?" He says, the end of the stick glowing orange as the wind blows. "You sounded stressed, are you sure?" I feel my heart stop in embarrassment. I haven't even begun to think he may have heard me talking to myself.
"Here," he said putting the cigarette in my hand. "Take a breath." I looked at it for a second before shaking my head and handing it back to him.

"I'm sorry," I say to him. "I can't. Those things are death sticks." He laughs through his nose at my comment, a smile appearing on his face.
"How can you do that to yourself? They'll end up killing you." He smiles to himself again.

"That's why I do it," he says looking into the starry night sky. I open my mouth in shock. "You called someone a 'dickhead'. Who were you talking about?"

Why is he prying into my private life?
I only started talking to him 2 minutes ago, yet somehow I feel I can trust him.

I let out a huge sigh before saying, "my boyfriend, or rather, my ex-boyfriend broke up with me." He looks at me with a sense of honest concern in his eyes.

"Why?" He asks. I flip through my memories to see if I can find out why. It isn't popping up.

"Because he's a dickhead," I say sitting down onto the swing next to him. I can see him looking straight into my eyes. I looks from side to side hoping he'll stop staring at me. He bring his cigarette to his mouth once again he breathes it in. I watch him as I really want to rip it out of his hand and throw it on the floor. I can't however, his intense gaze has me frozen to the spot. I manage to look away from him into the forest but I can feel his eyes as they look me and up and down.

"He's got to be a dickhead to break up with you," he says smirking. I don't know whether to say thank you, or scream at him for being a creep. So instead I just say nothing. He goes to put the stick to his mouth once again, but I grab it out of his hand and go to throw it on the floor. Somehow I can't bring myself to do it, so my brain decides it's a good idea to have me stuck the rest of it in myself. I feel the tar as it slide down my throat. I suddenly start coughing and wheezing. He hits my back as he laughs to himself.

"I thought you didn't want any," he says smirking at me. I roll my eyes at him.

"I didn't want you to have any either," I say turning my back to him. "You're going to die if you continue like that." He puts his hand behind his back.