Chapter 6 - Confused

I sit behind and rub her back. We cry together over her mother's body that lays still slowly getting colder. She holds her hand and cries onto her lap. This is the last thing I ever expected to happen.

I asked the doctors what happened. She had been stabbed on the way back from the shops and the only thing she had left on her was 2 pictures. I hadn't looked at either of them. I could bare to. I left them in my pocket so that Ru-Ri and I could look at them together. It had now been 12 hours since we arrived. We had to wait to see if Ru-Ri's mum would make it.

I tap her on the back.

"Hey Ru-Ri," I say looking at her puffy eyes. "Are you ready to look at the photos?" She nods sniffing and wiping her eyes.

I flip the first one over. It's a picture that was taken when the four of us went on holiday ten years ago. Both our mother's have their arms wrapped around their child. Jisoo's arms around Ru-Ri and my mother's around me. We are smiling like there's nothing better that could possibly happen. The sea in the background is bright blue and the sky has little to no clouds. All our hair is blowing in the wind. Ru-Ri is smiling so widely her gums can be seen. She's wearing her mum's glasses which are way to big for her. She looks so happy. So different.

"We were so cute," I say to Ru-Ri as she cries. "And look it's your hair before you dyed it." She hugs closer into me. I flip it over. The back reads "My family".

"Can we look at the other one?" Ru-Ri sniffs. I nod and take the other one out. The back of this one reads "Ru-Ri's Father." She takes it out of my hand and looks at the photo.

"It's him," she says in shock. "He's my Father."

***

"It's getting late," the doctor says. "We recommend you go home." Ru-Ri looks up at me still crying and confused.

"Please doctor can I stay?" She cries. He sighs reluctantly.

"Okay we'll bring in a spare bed for you," he agrees. "But your friend needs to go home." I nod letting go of Ru-Ri. Her big brown eyes follow me as I leave. I smile and wave goodbye. She does the same.

I reach the lobby. There's no way for me to get home. Ru-Ri can't drive me and I can't drive me either. I think to all the people I know. Tae can't drive. I don't have Jin's number. The only other person I know can drive is.

Jungkook.

I take out my phone and click on his profile. I swipe to call him and put it to my ear. I flinch as he picks up.

"Ai-yeon, are you okay?" He asks. I breathe out a heavy sigh of relief. "I heard what happened to Ru-Ri's mum is she okay?" He sounds really worried.

"She's fine as she can be considering her mother just died," I say. "And I'm having to stay strong for her."

"Oh thank god," he says. "Anyway why did you call me?"

"I need a lift back from the hospital," I say. "Can you come and take me home?" I wince waiting for his answer. Is he going to make some stupid comment about Tae?

"Alright," he answers. "I'll be there soon."

***

I wait in the lobby for a while with a cup of hot chocolate. I sip it every so often. The walls are all so white. The doctors are fixing up as many patients as possible. I have a new found respect for their jobs. I hear the front doors open and Jungkook rushes over to me.

"You sure you're alright?" He asks squatting in fronr of me. He puts his hands on my shoulder. He smile and nod. "Come on let's go." He takes my hand and stands up. I feel my face turn bright red.