Chapter 11 - Beautiful

"How long have you known?" Ryeo-ok asks Ru-Ri coming out of the room to stand in the hallway with Ru-Ri and me.

"Since my mother died," she answers. "That's why you recognised me, wasn't it?" She raises her eyebrows waiting for an answer.

"I could see your mother in you, yes," he says. "But I didn't know you. When you confirmed you were her daughter it made me happy to think she had found someone to be with." Ru-Ri clenches her fists. I can't do anything but watch. "Later that evening after I met you. I asked my daughter Na-yu if she knew anything about you. She told me that you grew up with Miss Kim, your mother and her mother."

"Yes," Ru-Ri says. "I lived with Ai-yeon, my mum and So-Mi."

"She told me that your father ran away," he says. "I didn't run away. You see your mum and I were boyfriend and girlfriend, but we were from very different worlds. I'm part of the business world whereas your mother was part of the normal world. My parents didn't approve of our relationship. The night before I had to leave for an arranged marriage me and your mother... well." Ru-Ri's eyes begin to water. I want to hug her but I can't get in the way of what's happening. "But then I left and could never see her again. I started a family with my wife. Only recently did I find out that your are my daughter too." Ru-Ri is stunned. She can feel hot anger burning through her, freezing her. She can't move because of all of the emotions she's feeling. Anger, sadness and even happiness.

"Why couldn't you have just stayed with my mother?" Ru-Ri asks clenching her fists so tight that her nails dig into her skin. "Why didn't you check up on my Mum to make sure she was alright?"

"I didn't check up on her because if I fell in love with her again then I would end up hurting her as well as my wife and children," he explains. "I'm sorry Ru-Ri. I would have come if I'd known about you." He steps forward and puts his hand on her shoulder. "Ru-Ri," he says. She looks up at him. "If you'd like to, you can become part of my family now. They'll except you I promise." Ru-Ri nods. Ryeo-ok pulls her into a hug.

The elevator door opens at the end of the hallway. A girl with short black hair and a leather jacket steps out. She's on her phone and keeps walking. When she almost steps on my foot she looks up. She sees Ryeo-ok and Ru-Ri hugging and gives them a look of what the he'll is going on.

"Hello Na-yu," Ryeo-ok says. "Please meet Chae Ru-Ri, your half-sister." Na-yu looks at them completely confused.

"My what?" Na-yu asks. "My sister?" Ryeo-ok nods.

"Yes Na-yu," he answers. "Your sister."

"Does Mum know you cheated on her?" Na-yu asks pushing her weight onto one hip.

"I didn't cheat on your mother," he announces. "Ru-Ri is the daughter of the woman I loved before your mother. However your mother does not know about Ru-Ri but she does know about the fact I was in love with Ru-Ri's mother."

"And you didn't think to tell me?" she yells. "I'm going home." She storms out and head straight for the staircase.

"I'm sorry Ru-Ri," Ryeo-ok says. "I'm sure she'll come around." He rubs Ru-Ri's arm and smiles. Ru-Ri nods then the two of us begin to walk away. "Ru-Ri," he calls out. "Would you and Miss Kim like to join us for dinner tonight?" She nods and the two of us walk away.

***

Ru-Ri appears out of the bathroom in a lacey white dress. The dress reaches just above her knee. She looks fantastic. She compliments the dress by wearing bright red lipstick and nail polish.

"You look beautiful," Jin tells her taking her arm in his. She smiles and blushes.

"Well have fun out there kids," I say guiding them quickly to the door. "So sorry I couldn't come Ru-Ri but I'm sure you'll be fine." I usher them out of the door and slam it close behind me. I wait a couple of seconds to make sure they're gone before I head into the kitchen. I walk behind the bar area.