Chapter 2 (The Everlasting Hike)

As the sun rose a few hours later the rest of us were still walking in the desert. The wind cleared up and the temperature grew rapidly. I looked at Debby and all she did was stare carefully into the sky.
I than took a glance at Erica who seemed quiet normal but she still felt pretty distant from the group.
"Hey guys" one of the new recruits called out from behind. Eveyone turned back at her.
"Paradise, it's completely ruined" she said.
I couldn't help but feel guilty for leaving all those people behind but we were on a mission. I turned around and continued walking. Dr Williams caught up to me.
"You alright son?" he asked me. I nodded my head but in truth I was enraged.

Moments passed until we found a small lake full of water. Majority of us went to refill our bottles just leaving Debby and Lily behind.
"Debby shouldn't have brought all of us here" Erica stated.
"Hey babe why would you say something like that" Marcus replied holding her hands. I just kept my mouth shut and listened.
"She led us here to die. I don't even think her father was even here in the first place" she whispered as she walked away with Marcus.
"Do you think what she's saying is true?" Frankie asked me.
"I don't know but things were so much simpler back at home" I replied.
"You right maybe that's why Erica was acting weird, because she thinks Debby is going to kill us"
"I don't believe it one bit, Debby would never do such a thing" I say confidently.
"What are you guys talking about?" Bobby asked us.
"Nothing important, aren't you going to introduce us to your friends?" I asked him.
"Oh yeah this is Derek" Bobby said pointing to the tall blonde boy with a scar on his left cheek. I waved at him.
"This is my girlfriend Sasha" he pointed to the only girl amongst the recruits.
"These two are Ben and Oliver, they're twins" Bobby added.
"Well it's nice to meet you guys" I said shaking their hands.
"Let's keep moving!" Debby shouted from a distance.
We all moved to her direction but Frankie pulled me back.
"You gonna tell Debby what Erica said?" he asked me.
"I want to but it's not my secret to tell" I responded.

Charlie couldn't take the heat any more, he fainted immediately.
We all surrounded him.
"Uncle Charlie, Charlie!" Debby shouted.
Well he was still breathing so he was going to be ok. The sun was beginning to set. As we all stood over the horizon.
"What's that?" Lily pointed straight ahead of us. Amanda took Charlie's binoculars and looked.
"Oh my god guys that's a city" she said in amazement.
"It looks abandoned though"
"Uh guys" Jeff and Jared alerted everyone at the same time. I turned around and saw the fireflies from a very large distance. Maybe like 40 minutes apart.
"The demons are coming, we got to go" Tessa said.