47. Rick Avery by Kate-Dimka

47. Rick Avery

Rickola by Kate-Dimka

Overview - Every girl dreams of falling in love with a Hollywood heartthrob. Rickola is the story that brings that fantasy to life.

Celebrity obsession has swept over everyone Nicola Greene knows, and when superstar Rick Avery comes to Sydney for a vacation like no other, it’s all people can talk about. How can Nicola enjoy her vacation with a crazy best friend and psycho little sister sitting on her back? With Rick Avery unknowingly destroying her holiday, she can’t. However, when things finally start looking up for her, Nicola runs—quite literally—into a handsome stranger and suddenly her summer turns into the things dreams are made of.

Love

I love you so deeply 

I love you so much

I love the sound of your voice 

And the way we used to touch 

I love your kind and thoughtful ways 

And the joy you bring to my life everyday 

I love you today as I have from the start 

I'll love you forever with all my heart.

by Sander

1. Can you give a small bio about you?

My name is Katelyn, I’m 21 years old, and I am a bookaholic. Yes, I just introduced myself as an addict, but let’s face it, most people here are, right? So, I’m currently studying at University. I’m majoring in Primary Education and English. I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and found my love of writing in my mid-teens, so it’s truly perfect for me. I enjoy young adult and romance novels, but will give almost anything a go. I like to stay active and play netball (a popular sport for females in Australia). I also do ballet and jazz. I joined Wattpad in 2009 at the age of 16 and have been here ever since. I love it. Oh, and I’ve turned into a bit of a social butterfly over the last few years. My mum says that I’ve broken out of my shell, more than she’d hoped, but I am loving the Uni lifestyle.

2. From where did you get the idea of Rickola?

I started writing Rickola around May/June 2011, but I’d been thinking about this story and its characters for about a year before that. I was in my final year of high school when I got the idea so I didn’t get much chance to write. I’m not going to lie; it was so long ago that I can’t remember the initial stimulus that sparked the idea for the story. Knowing me, it wasn’t just one little thing. Although, and I’m confident this would have been the case, it might well have been the obsession my 16-year-old self had with a certain celebrity. At that time in my life, I was going through a Jonas Brothers phase (don’t judge). I had a particular fascination for Nick. Chances are I would have decided to write Rickola based on my many fantasies about having a celebrity boyfriend of my own. Nick is American, I am Australian. This would be where the idea for a foreign celebrity to be the main love interest came from. So yes, I believe this is where the initial idea for Rickola formed. However, it definitely was not the only idea that sparked the story.

There is one specific event in my life that was a big influence on the beginning of the story though. Nicola’s reaction to meeting Rick for the very first time was actually inspired by my own experience. My cousin was dating a local celebrity and when I met him for the first time, I had a moment where I was essentially star struck. I could not get rid of the sweet smile that I tried to suppress on my face and the only word I could muster was “hi”. As that night went on, those feelings disappeared and he became part of the family. I used that feeling to write the initial meeting of Rick and Nicola and to resonate the way she feels around him in the beginning of the story.