Prologue

Third Person P.O.V

In Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital, a 10 year old girl walks in with a bruise on her cheek and dry tears on her face. A nurse named Melissa McCall see the little girl and walks toward her. She looks like she was beaten up and barely able to stand. She looks into the nurse's eye and says, "Help." before she blacks out from the pain. Melissa screams "I need a doctor!" before picking the girl up and carrying her towards the doctor. 

It was dark outside by the time the girl wakes up. Melissa hasn't left her side since but then she is called away. The girl wakes up from her head hurting from hearing everyone thoughts around her. She tries to focus like her mother taught her, but when she hears someone thoughts that she couldn't help but listen to. It was the same as her own months ago. She got up despite the pain she felt. 

She walked out her room and she saw where the thoughts were coming from. A boy who looked the same age as her with his head in his hands. It's my fault.  She's gone. She's dead. She's dead. My mom is dead. Listening to him broke her heart because she said the same thing when her family died. She walked and sat by him. She didn't know what to say to him but she knew what needed to be said. 

"It isn't your fault," she said looking at the room his mother must have been in. The boy lifts his head from his hands.

"What?" he said with red puffy eyes and tears coming down his cheeks. 

"I know what your thinking. That it's your fault that they're gone and you couldn't do anything to help. But it isn't." she said with a soft calm voice.

"How could you know that,"  he said like she couldn't possibly know what he's going through. Little did he know, she went through a lot worse.

"Because she loved you. Probably more than anything. Sometimes bad things happen to really good people and it isn't fair. We can't help stop or try to change it. It just happens. But what I can tell you is that it gets easier. That pain you feel won't hurt as bad with time," she turns her head and looked into the boy's eyes, "and it isn't your fault. Never blame yourself for things you have no control over or it will control you." She stared into his eyes being what he needed a strange girl to be, someone to comfort him. He had tears running down his cheek.

He reached over and hugged the girl. And she let him. Letting him let go of the blame and the guilt he felt when he didn't need to. She looked up hearing a man coming towards them and saw the sheriff. She let go of the boy and nodded towards the sheriff. The boy looked at him and ran into his arms crying even more. The sheriff went to his knees hugging his son knowing his wife died. The girl got up and went back to her room. 

About an hour later, the girl finally spoke to Melissa but only told her name. Skye. Melissa walked out of the room about to ask for a psych consult. The sheriff was in the hallway looking at the girl who was hugging his son.

"Who is that girl?" the sheriff asked concerned. He needed to know who the girl was that was there for his son when he needed him the most.

"Sheriff, you should go home. You don't have to..." she began to say but he interrupted her.

"I'm fine. I promise. Now, will you tell me who is that girl and what happened to her." he said looking at the girl.

"She said he name was Skye and that's the only she told me. She has been here for a while but she hasn't talked until now.  She keeps putting up walls against me but something bad happened to her. She won't let us touch her after she woke up and she has other injuries when need to check," Melissa explained really worried about her.

"Can I talk to her?" The sheriff asked Melissa and she agreed. Skye leans back in her bed, not liking that the sheriff was in the room. No cop ever believes her.