I Got A Letter

It was July 29th, and I just got done walking the neighborhood with Harry. It was about 7 o'clock. We like to take night walks to look at the stars.

He was telling me about how his uncle and aunt were hiding something and he wanted to know what. I just thought it was weird. Another thing that I thought was weird was the amount of owls in our neighborhood. There were so many it was starting to freak me out. Especially since owls were nocturnal. 

"Well, I hope it get's better. See ya Flash," I walked up my driveway, my back to the house as we both said goodbye. I gave him that nickname from the 'birthmark' (that's what I thought it was) he had on his forehead.

"Yeah, same to you. Bye four-eyes," He waved and laughed. 

I rolled my eyes, and got the mail. I always got the mail, then separate the bills from ads. Occasionally, we might get something that's different like coupons or wedding invitation. 

I walked inside, "Mom?" I called. I never knew when she's ever home anymore. That year was the sixth year of my dad's death. It sucked. I figured mom was out getting even more wasted as usual. 

I didn't get a reply, or any sound. She wasn't there. I rolled my eyes, and sat down at the dining room table. I sorted them into piles. The quiet around the house was starting to standout to me. I didn't like it that much, but it could've been worse. Way worse. 

As I was going through the mail, which wasn't much, I came across a cream colored envelope. A thick, cream colored envelope. I looked it over and noticed it was for me. I put it in my lap, I'll see to it later. 

After I sorted out the mail, I took the envelope and went into my room. My door shut behind me. 

Mrs. Bridget Meadows,

5 Private Drive, Little Whinging England

First thought that came to my mind: Who is this? I opened the envelope and inside were two papers. The first paper read this:

Dear Mrs. Meadows,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins September 1. We await your owl no later then July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

I reread the letter 5 times and I still couldn't believe it. How? Is this some sort of prank? I looked at the list, hoping this letter was joking; and why would they just now get it to me when I only have like less than a day to...send my owl?

I read through the list of items, and my eyes went wide. I flopped onto my bed...Does this mean...I'm...a...witch? It can't be. I started to whisper to myself, "I'm ordinary. More ordinary than ordinary. This can't be real."

I groaned, and rubbed my temples. This is so much to take in. Then I heard the door swing and hit the wall. Mother was home. I heard her stumbling around. Did she know?

I got up and opened my door. Mother was slouched on the couch. This time she didn't seem drunk. She seemed...tired. I walked in, trying to pretend nothing was really wrong. She glanced at me. "Yeah?"

I held up the letter, "Do you know what this is?"

She just tilted her head, "A letter." 

"Funny, but not the answer I was hoping for," I walked over to her and held it in front of her face. "What is this?" I asked. I swear she was behind all of this.