The Third Task

Harry and I began to walk back to the Gryffindor Tower. "Harry, I'm worried."

"Don't be," Harry sighed. I could tell he was too. But I figured it was best not to mention anything.

I heard an argument that we were starting to get closer to. Just as we were about to walk passed, the door to the potions closet opened. Igor was standing there holding out his dark mark. I looked to both of them, "We didn't see anything."

Igor snuffed away in a hurry. As Harry and I were about to walk away, Snape caught us, "What's the hurry, Meadows, Potter?"

We back tracked and stood in front of Snape as he continued to speak, "Congratulations on the second task. Your performance went very well. Was it gillyweed that you used, Potter?"

"Yes," he nodded.

"Very clever," Snape raised an eyebrow. He continued to talk as he went into his closet, "Very rare herb it is too. You wouldn't be able to find it in a normal garden," he pulled a bottle off the shelf. "And neither is this." 

He came over to us, "Do you have an idea of what this is?"

"Bubble juice?" Harry asked. I silently rolled my eyes, oh god Harry.

"It is veritaserum," he held it up to our faces. "A few drops and you'll have anyone spilling all their darkest secrets. To use it on a student is forbidden but if I find that you've stolen from my closet again, and you'll have a few drops in your pumpkin juice."

Harry was about to say something, but I chimed in first, "We didn't steal anything."

"Don't you dare lie."

"Why don't you find out?" I motioned towards the bottle. "I'm not."

"Gillyweed is one thing, but boomslang skin and lacewing flies are another. I know you and your friends are making polyjuice potion and I will find out why."

Polyjuice potion? Wait a minute. "We don't even know how to brew polyjuice potion. And it's too complicated of a potion to do anyways."

"Oh so you've thought about brewing it?" He got in my face.

"I was curious, in second year, and you sure weren't going to teach me," I stood my ground.

He huffed and went back into his closet. "Come on Harry. Let's get you ready for the third task."

•••

There we were. At the last task. Thank god this hell is almost over. Ahead of us was a large hedge maze. Students were sitting behind us, chanting and cheering.

"Today," Dumbledore began, "Professor Mad-eye Moody placed the triwizard cup in the depth of the maze. He's the only one who knows it's exact location."

Sketchy.

"Because Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter are tied for first, they will enter the maze first. Followed by Viktor Krum and Fleur Delacour," with each of the victor's names came cheers and chants. I watched as Moody came out of the maze. We locked eyes and I knew for a fact who he was and how he came to be; so I gave him a death glare from me. He pretended I wasn't there.

"The first person who touches the cup, will be the winner of the Triwizard Tournament. Even though Ms. Meadows will go into the maze too, if any player wishes to be out of the maze, they will send up red sparks and staff will go get them. Is everything understood?"

All of us nodded. Dumbledore stepped off his platform. He gathered us up in a circle and began to speak, "In the maze, there will be worse things than magical creatures. When people go in the maze, they can change, in ways you'd never think they would. Be very wary. You might lose yourself along the way."

We separated. One by one the players went in. Every sound of the canon would make me jump. McGonagall came over to be after Harry went in, "Use your sense of smell to guide you. But don't let anyone figure you out."

"I won't," I nodded.

She began to walk away but I stopped her, "Professor McGonagall." She turned to me. "Thank you."

Soon enough, I was sent in. The maze was dark and cold. I didn't like it very much to say the least. I transformed into my dog form. It was much clearer to tell where to go with my sense of smell. One of the perks for being a dog.

My scent took me to Harry. I stayed back so I wouldn't get in his way. I sensed something right away. It was like a fear or panic. I followed it. I saw Fleur right as she screamed. Viktor Krum was over her. As if to keep her down.

He looked over to me. I hid behind the hedge. I noticed something that wasn't there earlier. His eyes; they were like a white. I transformed back, keeping my wand at my side. He raised his weapon.

"Expelliarmus," I unarmed him. While he went scrambling for his wand, I went to Fleur. The vines and roots and branches from the tree were wrapping themselves around her. I snapped away all the vegetation and sent red sparks in the sky. "Sorry honey. You're done."

I heard running. Harry was coming down the row, "Oh okay." I assumed he came to see what the screaming was about.

"Go. Go win your trophy."

He smiled and nodded. He ran off. I waited until a staff member came and got her, which didn't take that long. Out of no where, a gust of wind hit us. I got up and ran down the row when I noticed the hedges were pushing me in. Wait, I'm not a player. Why is it doing this to me?

I landed on the ground. Voices were coming from everywhere. I looked up. There was a fight that had broken out. I got up and ran. Cedric and Krum were going at each other. Cedric took down Krum. I ran over and so did Cedric. "Leave this to me. You're a player. Go win your trophy."

He gave me a quick smile and a nod before him and Harry began to discus stuff. I checked Krum's heartbeat and such. It seemed normal. I sent flares us in the sky.

The same wind blew again. I was sent through the bushes this time, having no time to react. I landed on my stomach. I looked around. Cedric and Harry looked down at me. I stood up, "What?"

"Could you move? You're in the way to the trophy," Cedric waved his hand.

I turned and saw it. "Oh yeah, go ahead." I went backwards, giving them enough space to pass through. The hedges started to put me and the boys towards the trophy.

We were tripping on all sorts of vines and roots. Cedric actually tripped on stuff. It was pulling him away; taking him underneath the hedges. Harry and I stopped to help him up. He was grateful to say the least.

I hadn't realized the wind had stopped until it started up again. "Run!" I pushed the boys forwards. We all ran towards the trophy. We stopped once we got there.

"Who's going to take it?" Harry asked.

"Why don't we all?" Cedric yelled over the bowls of the wind. "It'll take us all to the same place anyways."

I nodded, "Okay."

"1. 2. 3."