Slughorn's Dinner

Hagrid found us and carried Katie back to Hogwarts. We followed him back. I was holding onto a package, which held a hideous necklace.

We entered the school and went straight to McGonagall and Snape. I set it down as they began to speak with Katie's friend, "You said Katie didn't have this when you both went into The Three Broomsticks?"

"Right. She went to use the lavatory; when she came back she had the package. Said she had to deliver it."

"To who?"

"Dumbledore."

Those words shook my gut. It made sense why Draco didn't want me to touch it. But I was hoping that it wasn't him. I really didn't want it to be Draco.

"Thank you," Professor McGonagall nodded. "You may go now." She turned to the four of us, "When something bad happens, why are you four always drug into it?"

"I've been asking myself that for the past six years, Professor," Ron shrugged.

Snape came back into the room. He went straight for the necklace. Didn't stop for a moment. He lifted it, with a spell I can imagine. McGonagall seemed a bit frightened as she turned to our professor, "So? What do you think about it?"

"I believe that Miss Bell is lucky to still be alive."

"Was it a curse?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, Professors, what exactly is that?" I asked.

"We know Katie," Harry told them. "She can barely be competitive, let alone try to hurt someone."

"Meaning she couldn't have known that it was cursed," I was understanding where Harry was going.

"For now we can assume, that yes, it was a curse," McGonagall nodded. She turned to us.

Harry spoke again, "It must've been Draco Malfoy."

I groaned, "Now, is not the time, Harry."

"What a serious accusation, Mr. Potter."

"Where is your evidence, then?" Snape looked down to Harry.

"Yeah, Harry," I turned to him. "You can't just pull these things out of thin air."

"I can feel it," Harry ignored me.

"You can..." Snape seemed appalled by his words, "feel it?"

"I went to talk to Draco, Harry," I shook my head. "Until he left. He didn't go anywhere with anything."

"Oh really?" Harry turned to me.

I was getting fed up with his bull, but Snape interrupted us before I had the chance to tell him off, "I'm surprised that, even with your special abilities, you think you know everything because you're 'the chosen one'."

I smirked slightly. Ooo. Got him good, Professor.

The tension was high as McGonagall had us sent back to the dorm. I almost couldn't look at Harry without getting frustrated.

"Bridget, try to hear me," he called from behind. "Try to understand."

"I do, Harry," I kept my gaze straight. "I can hear you clear as day. And I understand as well. You're scared. And with his family history, it's understandable. But you shouldn't go around and accuse anyone of everything."

We stepped into the common room. That night, the boys headed up to bed first. Hermione sat with me until she got tired and retired as well. I remained on the couch. Thinking.

So much to think about. Next thing I knew, I had fallen asleep on the couch. The next few days were alright. We received an owl from Slughorn about his party.

We arrived after our evening classes. The table was rather large and round for my taste. I sat next to Harry. Hermione sat on his other side.

Slughorn began to make conversation with all of us. First to McLaggen, who I wasn't happy to see there but oh well. Of course, McLaggen boasted about his holiday plans.

I took another tiny bite from the dessert before me. Slughorn turned to a different kid by the name of Marcus, "What about your uncle? Oh, students, Marcus's uncle invents rather interesting things. Has he got anything new?"

"I don't exactly know," Marcus shoved a large spoonful into his mouth. "Him and my dad don't get along as well anymore. They argue a lot."

Slughorn just kind of nodded off, "And you, Ms. Granger. What about your parents? What do they do?"

"They're dentists," Hermione explained. "They fix people's teeth."

"How interesting," Slughorn leaned in a bit. "Is it dangerous?"

"Not generally," she seemed to be thinking for a moment. "But one time, my father got bit by a boy once." She began to giggle which made me chuckle a bit too. "He needed roughly ten stitches."

Oh my god. That kid must've gone after him like Marcus is going after that dessert.

"And, what about you, Ms. Meadows?" Slughorn caught my attention. "I completely forgot, what do your parents do?"

"Oh," I was a bit stunned by the question. "My parents are dead."

Everyone stopped and turned to me. It got rather uncomfortable for a moment. Even Marcus stopped moving. I cleared my throat to try and clear the air, "This is a really good dessert," I ate another small bite.

Thankfully, the doors opened and Ginny Weasley came in. She seemed a bit off. I was about to say something when Slughorn welcomed her. I heard Hermione whisper to Harry and I, "Her and Dean were probably fighting again. Look at her eyes."

"I apologize," Ginny took a seat next to me. "I don't tend to be late."

I heard the chair move beside me. I looked to see Harry standing up. As if things couldn't get more awkward.

I looked back to my dessert. I took a small bite. I looked around to the slightly large table of around ten students. The only one really looking around was Blaise. I had seen him hanging around Draco but Draco never mentioned him.

He looked to me and nodded. He didn't say anything though. I figured he knew what I was thinking. Slughorn bid us all farewell. Harry stayed back but Hermione, Ginny, and I left. I couldn't stand the awkward feeling.

Blaise caught up with us, "Hello. I'm Blaise Zabini. Could I talk with you for a moment, Bridget?"

I nodded towards the girls, "I'll met up later." We walked towards the staircase and I turned to him, "You know, Draco never talks about you, yet you hang around him all the time. But he never talks to me anyways anymore, so I guess it's fine."

"Bridget," he kept a calm tone, "I need you to hear me. Things are happening. Things we cannot explain yet. Give Draco time and he'll explain everything."

"Time? Really? He's had months. I will find out sooner or later."

"He'd prefer later," he chuckled. "On the plus side, he talks about you."

"Oh really?" I turned to him. "What does he say? I'm annoyingly clingy and should mind my business?"

"Sometimes," he nodded. "But more often than not he'll speak of you as if you're his only rock. His only world. So, give him more time."

"It's was great to finally meet you Blaise," I smiled to him. "But I really should be heading back. Have a nice night."