Chapter One 🌊

I hum a familiar tune as I turn on the blow dryer that is at my station. The tune is one that my mother sang to my siblings and I since we were children. My tone is soft since the song is soft and soothing. I often find myself humming this song during a long day or as I dry a clients hair. Lara, a regular client, hums along with me as I dry her hair. I carefully comb the ends of her hair with a circular brush to add slight waves to her hair. After drying her hair I turn off the hair dryer and place it back. Then I grab another brush and a can of hair spray.

"I still cannot get over that your hair is really blue after all of these years! I wish my hair was naturally red or rose gold," said Lara.

I laugh when I remember how shocked Lara was when she learned that my hair is naturally an ombre blue. It is quite common for mermaid to have unnatural hair colors, and it typically compliments our tails.

"Thank you Lara and I do think that your natural blonde hair is lovely. This shade of cherry red looks good on you too" I said.

Lara comes into the salon regularly to cut and color her hair. She says that she gets bored of her natural hair, since her mother did not let her color it when she was a teenager.

"Thank you but you know that I love coloring my hair too much for it to be its natural color. I am just happy that my mate is ok with me coloring my hair. I think the only color I surprised him with is when we went for that fire red-orange color," said Lara.

"I was surprised when you requested that color, but it turned out very good," I said.

Lara nods in agreement as I give her hair a good amount of hair spray so that the waves do not lose their shape from the humidity in the air. We say goodbye as I ring her up at the register. I wait about an hour until my next client arrives, and then I get to work. The rest of my day goes by in a blur as I cut, color and blow-dry numerous clients. It is around six when my day slows down, and I can finally get a late lunch. Well I suppose it would be considered dinner at this point. I inform Mia, the receptionist, that I am taking my lunch now. Mia sticks her head, that is full of curvy black hair, out of the supply room. Her blue-gray eyes seem to pop against her mocha colored skin. She has on a white salon coat, blue sundress and white converse.

"Have a good lunch Avalon. I will make sure to hold down the fort until you get back," said Mia.

"Thank you Mia, I will bring you back a slice of coffee and hazelnut cheesecake," I said.

"You are the best Avalon!" shouts Mia as I walk out of the front door of the salon.

The humid air hits my bare arms since I am wearing a black sundress with baby blue dots. I would love to wear sandals, but I can't really wear them at work, so I have on my pastel blue sneakers. It feels great to be outside after being indoors all way. I am walking down the pier, so that I can meet my friend Zarya at a café that we frequent. We often have lunch there since it is at the midpoint between both of our shops. Zarya owns a small shop that sells jewelry, accessories, and some clothing. There are also beach supplies and little knickknacks for the tourists and beach goers.

The sky is a beautiful pink-orange as I approach the small red brick café that is towards the end of the pier. Several people are sitting on the outdoor patio that is lit up with small fairy lights. I walk inside the café and smile when Zara, the owner's daughter, greets me. Her black hair is pulled up into a bun, while her smiles reaches her brown eyes. She has on a white button up shirt with the café's logo, a black skirt and white flats.

"Hi Avalon, Zarya got here and managed to grab your usual table," said Zara, who is standing at the hostess podium.

"Thank you Zara. I will see you next week for your appointment," I said.