Chapter Twenty-three 🐉

I stand beside Avalon as we say goodbye to her parents, and Coralia. They are returning home, and we may see them again for the winter holidays. My mate is upset to see her family leave. She is very close to them, and I know she loved their visit Unfortunately, her father has to return to work quickly. They were able to stay longer than planned, because he informed his workplace of our mating ceremony.

"Please call me when you get home. I want to know that you arrived safely," says Avalon.

She hugs her mother who places a kiss on her forehead. "We will call you sweetheart. There is no need to worry," she says.

Her father nods as he looks at us from the water. "Yes we should reach home in a few hours,"he said.

Avalon hugs her parents and Coralia one last time. She giggles at something her sister whispered to her. I do not understand what was said, since it was in their tongue. Her mother and sister embrace me in a quick hug. Her father nods and pats my back before returning to the water. They walk gracefully through the water until it reaches their shoulders. Afterwards, they dive into the water. A few moments later three beautiful tails appear. They appear to wave goodbye before disappearing.

"It should not take them long to return home. They should be diving deeper now," says Avalon.

I nod, "Is your homeland very low?"

Avalon nods her head as she cuddles into my side. I make sure to rub soothing circles into her back.

"Yes it is so deep that human technology cannot reach my homeland. It is also cloaked by a protective magic," explains Avalon.

I nod my head as we stare out towards the bright blue waves. The waves are a nice contrasting color against the pale sand. "I suppose that is the reason why the outside world knows so little about mermaids and dragons," I say.

Avalon hums as she leans against my side, "Yes and that is why people have come up with some ridiculous stories".

"Yes that is quite true and yet humans buy into some of the stories," I said.

Avalon giggles as she holds onto my shirt. "When I first moved here people thought I was a siren. They didn't know that all mermaids have a naturally seductive aura," she says.

I chuckle as I recall our first encounter. That filthy weak lion thought he could touch what is mine.  "That is quite true and I would have loved to fade that lion apart" I say darkly.

Avalon's eyes shimmer as she grins. "That would have a been a sight to see. I will admit it was sexy seeing you in charge".

I wrap my arm around her waist, and then swing her body. She lands facing me, and our bodies are pressed together. Her deliverable body trembles as she clings to my shirt. My eyes roam across her sexy little body. I take my time to appreciate her cleaves and curves. The yellow crop top and jean shorts show off her body.

"I felt the same way when I watched you transform," she admits.

I smile at her with genuine happiness flooding through my body. When I discovered that my mate was not a dragon I had my concerns. While the majority of society is open to mixed marriage there are traditional families l. These families or clans do not accept mixed matings right away. I hope that one day we will see a change to that. From the moment I met Avalon she became my top priority. I want to make her happy, and protect her.

"I am glad to hear that my treasure," I tell her.

She smiles at me as she inhales my scent. Her bright eyes look up at me with question. "Could I ride on your back again while you fly? I enjoyed myself when we went with Roark and Neri".