Chapter Thirty 🐉

A low growl escapes my throat as Avalon falls on top of me. Our bodies are covered in sweat as we catch our breathes. Avalon holds onto my neck, and I gently stroke her back. Her silky ombré blue hair sticks to her skin. She hums softly while her head rests on my chest. The beautiful quicken beat of her heart relaxes me.

Her heat has been active for five days now. Today, it seems less intense which means it should end tonight or tomorrow. We have been staying in one of the mating suites in the mountain. There are several mating suites in different areas of the mountain. They are also protected by ancient magic. This is to prevent unmated men from attacking the couple. A dominant male would not allow an single male to attack their mate.

I rarely spend this much time away from the clan. When I do it has been to attend Council meetings. It is on the sacred mountain, and fairly far. The flight from the den takes a day if there are no stops. In the past, I would not stop until reaching the mountain. However, from now on I will have to stop to insure Avalon's comfort. I plan to take advantage of our remaining privacy. When we return I know mother will take Avalon to the healers. She will want the elder healers to check Avalon,

"This room is so pretty and relaxing. It is a shame we are only allowed here during my heat," says Avalon.

I chuckle, "I agree but it is tradition. If you would like I can remodel our bedroom".

Avalon looks up at me with an arched eyebrow. "Would you be willing to do that? It is not like I do not like our bedroom," she says.

"My treasure I want you to feel that it is our bedroom. I am aware that it has a lot of my personality," I tell her.

Avalon nods,"There is not much that I would change. I would like to have a little reading area by the window. Oh and some little decor items".

I place a kiss on her nose, which makes her laugh. "We can go look for things together after your heat is over".

"Thank you Vul! As much as I have loved our time here I want to return home," said Avalon.

I chuckle,"I feel the same yet please be prepared for mother. She will want you to have checkups until we know if you are carrying hatchlings".

Avalon smiles as a strand of hair covers her face. My hand moves and brushes the hair out of her face. "I can actually check before we leave the cave. My heat has to be over for it to be accurate," says Avalon.

"How are you able to tell so quickly without a healer?"

This is rather different because female dragons require an elder healer. The healer is able to connect with nature and our clans magic. This allows the healer to sense new life at early stages. Males become protective of their mates when they are expecting. This is due to females having a weakened state. In ancient times feuding clans would target pregnant females.

"My people have a strong connection to the location new life is created. We return there when it i time to give birth," answers Avalon.

I nod since female dragons are the same, and give birth in special caves within the mountain. "Is this magic or an ability of your people's reproduction?"

Avalon hums as she runs her fingers up, and down my chest. "Hmm I believe it is a combination. We have a strong pull to birthing grounds. If we conceived a child the waters in the cave will make it known".

"I see well that may quiet down mother a little bit," I say.

"Both of our mother's will be persistent. I am certain that they have been talking".

I would not be surprised to learn that our mothers have talked. They must be overjoyed to be reunited after so long. Mother made sure to get my mother-in-law's contact information. They often speak on the phone or through text messages. Avalon has mentioned that they are quite active on social media, and comment on posts.