Chapter Twenty-eight 🐉

Avalon hums as I brush her soft ombré blue hair. She is sitting at her vanity as I brush her hair. The brush moves effortlessly through her thick hair. Avalon takes pride in her hair, and takes care of it. I enjoy taking care of my mate and providing for her. When it is possible I wash her hair, dry and comb it.

"That feels very nice Vulcan. Is there a reason you are good at combing women's hair?" Avalon looks at me through the reflection in the mirror.

"I would often brush Ember's hair when she was younger. Qullian would style her hair afterwards. He was very good at braiding her hair," I admit.

Ember is the youngest, and we are much older than her. Father insisted that we do our part to take care of her. I stuck to helping her study and brushing her hair. Aeric would help her pick out clothes, and make her snacks. Qullian would style her hair and read her bedtime stories. Some dominant males may be embarrassed to admit caring for a family member. Due to father's influence I was taught to feel pride in caring for my family. He assured me that there would be a time in my life when I would care for a mate and children.

"That is so sweet and Qullian knows how to braid hair?"

Avalon's comment about Qullian makes me chuckle. One would assume that he would not have such interests.

I nod my head, "Yes and Aeric occasionally still makes Ember her favorite snacks".

A smile appears on her face,"It is nice that you cared for her. My older brothers would often look after us".

"I do not think I have ever asked, but what is the age difference with your brothers?" I question.

"There is a pretty big age difference. Laken is two hundred fifty-four, Cryil is two hundred thirty-three, and Deveraux just turned two hundred thirty," answers Avalon.

I suppose that a one hundred twenty-eight age gap is large. However, the age gap between Avalon and I is larger. That does not matter too much in the supernatural world. We are not immortal, but our aging is very slow. My specifies can live on for thousands of years. However, if I get to that point in life I will be long retired with many grandchildren. Avalon's species lives about the span of my species. Our lifespan is now synced since we have mates. She has some of my dragon DNA in her system, which improved her aging and health.

"That is not too bad when you consider my age difference with Ember. She was the surprise child in our family," I say.

Avalon laughs as I set the hairbrush down. "That was Coralia in our family!"

I help Avalon stand, and then walk us over to the closet. Tonight is Roark and Neri's mating ceremony. It is a small affair compared to our mating ceremony. It will only consist of Roark's family and friends. Neri has become very good friends with many clan members.

Avalon hums a familiar tune as she gets dressed. I hum along as I get dressed in my black tuxedo, blood red dress shirt, and gold tie. Once Avalon slips on her blood red lace dress she turns toward me. I move towards her, and zip up her dress. She puts on a pair of gold stiletto heel, and then walks to me. One hand rests on my chest, while the other straightens my tie. I smile at her as I put on her jewelry; her ruby necklace, earrings, and ruby mating ring. She returns my smile as she holds onto my arm.

We walk through the den, which is rather quiet for a Friday night. Many of the hatchlings and younger members are probably out with friends. I have overheard many of them talking about a new sci-fi movie. We are greeted by the occasional clan member. Avalon is now able to greet each clan member by name. She was very excited about this accomplish a few days ago. It is a difficult feat if you were not raised by so many people. I am proud of her for taking on more duties of the female clan leader. She has already started to prepare for the Autumn festival.