Chapter Fifteen 🐉

My fingers run through Avalon's smooth her. Her lovey ombré blue hair is wavy due to how her hair was styled yesterday. I have been awake for some time, yet I do not want to get out of bed. Last night I was able to hold Avalon while we slept.

I have not had such a peaceful nights sleep since I was a hatchling. Perhaps, this is what father meant about always feeling at ease when mother was with him.

Avalon tosses in her sleep and she breathes softly through her nose. She appears so peaceful while she sleeps, and I do not have the heart to wake her. If this is what many of my mornings will look like from now on, then I will be a happy man.

I sigh as I tap into my link to the clan to see how everyone is. There seems to be a sense of calm through the den in the early hours. I am sure that if we step into the lower floors adults are heading to work, and children are rushing off to school.

"Yuna, my mate will be spending a few days here with her family. Until their departure I will be working from home," I inform Yuna through the link.

"Understood Vulcan. Shall I reschedule your meetings or do that once you have returned?" says Yuna.

"If they wish to reschedule for a later date or with Aeric you may do so now. Otherwise we will reschedule the meeting once I return," I said.

I can practically feel Yuna nod her head in my minds eye. Although, I suppose that is because I have known Yuna since we were children. "Very well I will keep you updated on what meetings I have rescheduled. Is there anything else I should know?"

"You may leave at four o'clock until I return if your work is complete. I am sure that Ion will enjoy you returning early," I said.

Yuna's soft cheerful laugh echoed through the link. "Thank you and I am sure that he will. Did he tell you that we are trying to have a hatching?"

I smile when I recall a few nights ago when I ran into Ion. I could not fall asleep, and went to relax on the large outdoor patio. Ion was sitting on a chair and staring at the sky. At the time we did not talk for a few days, and we caught each other up. A rare smile appeared on his face when he informed me that he and Yuna wanted to start a family. They have been mated for five years now, and Ion respected Yuna's wishes to enjoy their time together.

"Yes Ion mentioned it a few days ago. I am glad for you both," I said.

"Thank you Vul. Um.. May I share something with you as the clan leader?"

My eyebrow raised in surprise since Yuna has never wished to speak to me as her leader. We are close friends, and never wishes to keep a secret, especially from Ion.

"Of course you may Yuna. What is troubling you?"

Silence is heard on her end of the link and I can practically sense her hesitation. "Do you think I will make a good mother Vul?  I know the question sounds ridiculous, yet I often wonder this. I do not remember my mother well and this worries me," said Yuna.

Yuna lost her mother when she was young. Her mother's body became weak during labor, and died shortly after giving birth to her brother. Her father was heartbroken  by the loss of his mate, yet he lived on for his children. I recall sitting with my father as a hatchling as he spoke to Yuna's father.

"I am certain that you will make a good mother Yuna. I have seen the way you interact with the hatchlings. You care for them as a mother would. They love when Aunt Yuna comes to play with them," I said.

Yuna sighs softly through our link. "Thank you Vulcan. I needed to hear someone's opinion aside from my family".

"I assume that you spoke to your father about this matter," I said.