Sixty

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Jack

Morning, Ceci!!

Slept 10 hours. A lot. Still feel like I could nod off into an old-man day nap. But more than a foot of snow is coming, so getting ready to meet it. Having a cup of tea in the Train Car. Good time to talk?

 Good time to talk?

Ceci

Yes! Call!!

Jack

K!

Monday, December 12, 2016

[Jack's email to Ceci]

Dear Ceci,

Here's our written announcement about Gary's acquittal. The first one, we posted to our friends at the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar. The second was posted to our friends at The Trial Lawyer's College.  Please don't judge me too harshly about the sex fantasy.

-Jack

[Jack's email to the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar]

Dear Friends,

Three Boulder cops and a Boulder Cop ride-along, testified as eye-witnesses against our client (4 on 1) attempting to convict him of two felony counts of second degree assault on a police officer and two misdemeanor counts of third degree assault on a police officer. The jury acquitted him on all four assault counts, and convicted on misdemeanor obstruction and resisting. 

Thanks goes to our courageous client and his wife, expert witness Police Chief Taylor, expert video editors Ceci, Ethan, and Trevor, legal expert Cleo Ginsberg, our trial assistant (now young lawyer) Anne Smith, and huge community support in the courtroom.

Time to eat, sleep, and shred.

Jack

[Jack's email to the Trial Lawyer's College]

Dear Trial Lawyer's College Alumni,

. . . Our trial was steeped in TLC principles. Me during jury selection: "When I hear a guy has been accused of a crime by four police officers who were eye-witnesses, I presume he did the crime. I know he is presumed innocent, but my honest feeling is that he did the crime. I'm not proud of this bias, but that's the way I feel. Am I alone on this?" 

Our crosses of the police were always fair, honorable, and courteous, but heavy blows from sword and sledge, cutting away skin, breaking bones, and exposing lies. As the State's case began to stagger, the DAs poured on the hate. It was brutal and vicious. But we responded with love and an understanding of how they had been misled by the cops.

How did we do it?  I have no idea. Maybe sheer will because I wanted to lash out at those bastards with an aluminum baseball bat. At times, the punishment inflicted on us was like a beating, like a crucifixion. But my client and I held on and responded with kindness. Their attacks were so vicious and our response so peaceful, jurors actually submitted written pleas to the Judge to reconsider her rulings against us. In more than 30 years in the courts, I have never seen that.